Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lauge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
Does anybody know whether textutil in Yosemite doesn't support docx and odt files? I can't open these file-types with it.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
TextEdit in 10.10 doesn't seem to be supporting ODF, OOXML and the old .doc binary files whereas in 10.9 it does support them. No I have to say that LibreOffice does a far better job in opening those kind of files but it is kinda sad to see support for ODF, OOXML and the old binary format go. I'm sort of hoping it is a bug.

lauge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
crap :( Just installed os x for the first time in a while, and need to batch convert alot of these files. Is it possible to downgrade textutil to the 10.9 version in any way?

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
I don't think you can since it is a protected part of the system. I wouldn't even bother since OpenOffice/LibreOffice can do the job too and lets not forget the most important thing: you are running a beta which means things won't work. In this case I'd submit this as a TextEdit bug. Use Mavericks or OpenOffice/LibreOffce if you need to work with these kind of files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.