Textwrangler 4

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by splitpea, Jun 11, 2012.

1. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Have any other Textwrangler fans been holding off on the v4 upgrade?

I'm nervous about the changelog notes that say it will no longer offer to open *any* file as text, no matter the extension (I actually use that feature quite heavily), and that fewer syntax highlighting schemas are shipped (on the odd occasion that I have to open a file in Pascal or VB6, syntax highlighting is a pleasant surprise).

Are there any new features that are actually worth the upgrade? Any other caveats?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I upgraded to v4 right away. Haven't noticed the lack of opening anything as text or the syntax highlighting changes, as those are features I don't use. I very much like the revised document tray, though - you can drag and drop stuff onto it just like the old "drawer" worked.

3. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Out of curiosity, may I ask what you do use it for?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Absolutely! I use it primarily for its better find and replace features. If I have multiple text files open and wish to find/replace something in all of them at once, TextWrangler can do this. It's also good for handing text files in oddball encodings, fixing line endings, and other miscellaneous text tasks TextEdit does NOT handle.