Textwrangler has suddenly refused to launch

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mikeyb99, Feb 17, 2016.

1. mikeyb99 macrumors newbie

I've been using Textwrangler for two years now from the time I bought my Mac, on Mavericks, Yosemite and now El Capitan. A couple of days ago it suddenly wouldnt launch - nothing happens, no error message.

Looking in the system logs I can see the following:

17/02/2016 12:00:44.000 pm kernel[0]: proc 3709: load code signature error 4 for file "TextWrangler"
    17/02/2016 12:00:44.305 pm amfid[103]: /Applications/TextWrangler.app/Contents/MacOS/TextWrangler signature not valid: 0xfffefa2a
    17/02/2016 12:00:44.322 pm taskgated[332]: killed com.barebones.textwrangler[pid 3709] because its use of the com.apple.developer.team-identifier entitlement is not allowed (error code -67063)
    17/02/2016 12:00:44.322 pm com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.barebones.textwrangler.6432[3709]) Service exited due to signal: Killed: 9

So, it would seem that overnight the app has suddenly become untrustworthy, if I read the messages right! There has been no update to the app and no updates to OSX during this period. Has anyone else had a similar problem with an app?

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

3. mikeyb99 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

5. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Why would you go hunt down some web site when it is right there in the Mac App store?

A.

:)

6. posguy99 macrumors 6502

Because TextWrangler in the MAS makes compromises vs sandboxing? TW's big brother BBEdit isn't even IN the MAS any more because of this.

Also, @Alrescha, to avoid the software being killed by Apple in the first place?

IMO, the only things you should get from the MAS are things you can ONLY get from the MAS.

7. Alrescha macrumors 68020

TextWrangler makes one compromise - it is unable to overwrite files not owned by the user. That is probably a feature. As is the sandbox - it helps to ensure that apps are reasonably well-behaved.

Also, buying from the MAS means there is one less application that will try to sparkle its way through my firewall (something that is never going to happen). It also means that someone (other than the developer) has looked at it, and at least minimally tested it.

I know that there are some developer-oriented reasons to avoid the MAS, but as a consumer: if an app is available in the Mac App Store, that is where I am going to get it.

A.

8. mikeyb99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly the reason I got it from the MAS - that's my general policy :)

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

What about for licensing purposes? Mac App store allows you to install on all your Macs. If you buy it from a website from the developer, sometimes you can only install it on one Mac legally.

10. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Sure I run into the same issue and used the MAS version; now running "native". But might switch back now I know why ...

11. JohnDS macrumors 65816

One of the major reasons I use TextWrangler is to modify my /etc/hosts file to block advertising. The version from the App store won't do that. The version from Barebones will.

12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

With El Capitan /etc/hosts is protected by SIP. So even that won't work.

That being said, I encountered this same issue. Reinstalling the affected applications fixed it.

13. JohnDS macrumors 65816

The version of TextWrangler downloaded from Barebones can still be used to edit the hosts file in El Capitan.

14. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That only works if you turned SIP off. Authenticated saves will fail for SIP protected locations if SIP is on.

15. Alrescha macrumors 68020

What makes you think this is true? I have not meddled with SIP and my copy of /etc/hosts can be modified.

A.

16. JohnDS macrumors 65816

Works for me and I have not disabled SIP.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 20, 2016 ---
    From: http://www.barebones.com/store/macappstore.html#appstore_differences

Are there any differences between the Mac App Store versions of your software and the versions available directly from your web site?

In BBEdit and TextWrangler, authenticated saves (the ability to save changes to files that you do not own) and the command-line tools are not available in the Mac App Store versions, in order to comply with Apple’s submission guidelines.

17. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Well that's odd. I am unable to modify ANYTHING in /etc, including the hosts file, on my El Capitan Mac. I'm not sure why.

18. JohnDS macrumors 65816

You are probably using the version of TW downloaded from the Apple Store. It has been crippled in that regard (as per my previous post). Delete the Apple Store version and download a copy directly from Bare Bones: http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

19. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I am, but that's irrelevant here - my test was done with good old nano in the Terminal... oh but I didn't run it as root. Problem solved!