TextWrangler indent style

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by knffa, Nov 2, 2008.

1. knffa macrumors newbie

I'm new to mac osx and I'm looking for a nice lightweight text editor for coding (javascript/java) and I think TextWrangler is close to being it. The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is if I can customize it to auto indent braces in my preferred style (K&R/KNF).

So I'd prefer it to auto-align the closing brace with the same amount of indentation as the first brace:
    Code:
    [INDENT]function f () {[/INDENT]
    [INDENT][INDENT]//function body...[/INDENT][/INDENT]
    [INDENT]}[/INDENT]
    I'm wondering if I might be able to do it with a module or plug-in, or is it simple setup option I've missed? If TextWrangler can't do it, does anyone know of a lightweight editor (preferably free) that can ? Otherwise I might just go with emacs or eclipse.

2. JBmac macrumors member

JBmac

There are some Textmate Video Podcasts on iTunes that might help. I downloaded the trial, have the book, but have not started using it yet myself. Good Luck!

3. Cantello macrumors member

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

TextWrangler is good. TextMate is pwnage. I used both, the former for HTML and the latter for my current Java/C++ classes. TextMate cost money though. You could use the built-in TextEdit and save with the extension .javascript or .java.

5. Cantello macrumors member

I concur, TextMate is very good, but not exactly cheap at nearly 50€.

However, it can most certainly meet your requests, see the online help at http://manual.macromates.com/en/appendix.html#indentation_rules

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Smultron is a great light weight text editor for programming.