TF2 didn't run with Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by madcap, Aug 29, 2009.

1. madcap macrumors newbie

So I got my new Macbook pro just a little while ago, today i was hoping to get everything set up so i could at least play Team Fortress 2 on it. After I set up boot camp and installed windows 7 on it everything seemed to be running smoothly. Later today, TF2 had just finished downloading but when i tried to play the game couldn't even load the main start up page. It just immediately crashes right after start up. I tried updating windows and when I went to try to update the drivers there was a problem during installation.

I'm not exactly sure what i did wrong. I followed the boot camp instructions. I'm using NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT with 256MB. Is there some obvious step that i'm missing?

2. BradenG macrumors regular

I'm a TF2 freak, but it's hard for me to say. The only reason I have a Bootcamp partition is to play TF2 and WinXP is a great OS for TF2 (all Source engine games) so I just used XP w/SP3 - I'm not familiar with Win7, so there could be a complication in that regard somewhere. :confused:

3. customsnow macrumors newbie

did you install the boot camp drivers in windows by sticking in your snow leopard/leopard/your macbook disk you need those drivers as well as the nvidia driver

4. Slipster macrumors newbie

I did exactly the same, installed Windows 7 on my mac book pro, problem i had is that the disc didnt install all the drivers, Some missing i find is the inbuilt Mic, and Graphics driver.

After i installed the graphics driver tf2 runs smoothly, before that it got to the Steam Terms and conditions and crashed.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Awesome, same here!
    OP - does the resolution change before the crash? This is one of the first things the game does so it would help explain if it was caused by a bad installation or something in the launch code.
    Have you tried any other games? If you have the time grab a demo of a Source engine game.

One thing you could try is right clicking on the game in Steam, properties, set launch options select and add "-dxlevel 80". This disables DX9, it'd just help diagnose the problem a bit better. If you want add a space and add "-novid" to turn off the Valve intro video.

6. Tbone999 macrumors member

Been playing TF2 with Crossover Games for about 7 months now

It runs very well. You can try it out before buying it. I play a whole lot of TF2 (as well as Left4Dead) and I think it's a pretty easy way to get these games up and running on your mac.

7. adamjohn_98 macrumors member

What are the specs on your Mac? I'm hoping to do this same thing on my new i7 iMac when it comes in.