TF2 On Macbook via Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by doubleyou, May 6, 2009.

1. doubleyou macrumors newbie

I am on a Macbook and I just did Boot Camp and installed Vista onto my Macbook. I went through so much trouble to buy Orange Box to play TF2, only to find that it lags TERRIBLY. It's most likely the FPS because I'm fine when I'm standing alone, but during battles, I teleport around and cant do anything.

I turned all my effects to the lowest on Video Advanced and also went on the smallest Resolution, but I'm still lagging.

Is there anything I can do to fix it? Or did I just waste 30$?

2. RipeRetina macrumors regular

RipeRetina

I am in the same boat you are sir. I bought left 4 dead through steam under windows 7 boot camp. The game runs fine on high settings but crashes at a certain within a game. The first online game I played ran flawlessly but since then, nothing but crashing at a certain point. I bet it would help if you would post your specs for people to help, mine are below...

3. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

4. Ol3s macrumors regular

Ol3s

5. doubleyou thread starter macrumors newbie

I have GMA X3100.

My specs are 13" Macbook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    800 MHz Mac OS X 10.5.6

is my RAM where it says

Memory: 2GB?

lol. if thats it.. then yeah 2GB of ram

6. MAG. macrumors member

Okay the best thing to do, since you have the X3100 is right click on TF2 (from the Steam window) and select Properties. In the generals tab, click on "Set Launch Options" and enter "-dxlevel 80" (without quotes) and then OK. This should help you well. Also, you might want to turn on Multi-core rendering in the Video settings because the game doesn't support Multi-cores by default, but that might make the game crash (so if it does disable it again). Enjoy playing TF2 ;)

7. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

You have a terrible onboard card.. don't expect too much.

8. davwin macrumors regular

I would second MAG's suggestions and add that there is an Intel GMA accelerator application that might help too. It will increase the clock speeds of your integrated video chipset (core and mem clocks) to get you a little bit better performance. Please be aware though that this will be at the expense of stability and heat so be carefull.

all said and done, this is still an older and limited video chipset so don't expect miracles but, you can probably eek out acceptible performance on this system using the settings MAG posted and the GMA accelerator.

Good Luck :)

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That makes it more odd because games run better under XP/Vista than OSX.

To the OP - have you installed the Bootcamp drivers? I've seen a few other posts around here that were having graphics problems and didn't even have the drivers installed. Also do what Crossover players have to do and knock the DirectX level down to 7 or 8 (in Steam right click on the game, advanced settings and add "-dxlevel x", replace x with 7 for DX7 or 80 for DX8).

Also are you sure it's a graphics problem and not a lag problem? During a laggy game hold Tab and check your ping. Anything over 100 and you will be teleporting around the map.

Short of that you could overclock. But it's an X1300, I wouldn't have much hope.

10. waiwai macrumors regular

What Macbook? White or Aluminum?

I run an Aluminum Macbook 2.4 4GB with 7200 RPM HD and I run it fine on bootcamp XP. With some tweaking to TF2 config, I get fps between 40-80 (spikes depending on how many peepz are in server). If you're running on the old White Macbooks with the Intel onboard GPU ur out of luck as that can't play the game at a reasonable frame rate. The 9400M onboard on all newer Macbooks (white + aluminum) will give much improved performance.