Thank APPLE for "Find my Phone"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by txcallahan, Jan 18, 2016.

1. txcallahan macrumors newbie

txcallahan

I was on my way to work yesterday and reached over to move my bag that had my Macbook Pro in it and my iPad. To my horror the bag was very light, after texting my son begging him to tell me he had my laptop and getting the dreaded "NOPE" my stomach fell. All kinds of thoughts went through my head, I called Auto Insurance and found out I only had $200.00 in personal property in my coverage. I opened up a claim on my home owners and was told I would be contacted.

I knew my Macbook could not be accessed because it had a password to get into it, but the iPad did not have a lock on it and it was through my wireless carrier. I logged onto ATT and saw the iPad had data usage over the past 24hrs. I immediately signed onto the "Find my phone" app and put the iPad in lost mode. It was not online at the time but within 15min I got an email with the exact address the iPad was at. I work for a utility company so I was able to get the phone number for the residents at the address and thought calling them was not the best idea. I called the police to make a report and provide them with the information I had. I was so excited because I had the address, but when the police officers got here they brought be back to reality. They stated they could go over there but if the residents did not let them in there was nothing they could do. I don't know if it was my look of defeat or they wants some excitement in their lives but they agreed to go to the house and bring us with them to show the "parents" the tracking information to convince them the devices were there.

Driving over there I had about 10% hope anything would happen. As we sat in my husbands truck about 5 houses down, 2 more units showed up at the location. About 5 minutes later we saw the officers walking back to the truck it was dark outside, and did not see anything in their hands, we both said "no luck". We got out of the truck and walked up to the officers and they asked me "are you looking for these" and one of the officers took his hands behind his back and handed me my Macbook and iPad. I am not a "hugger" but all I could do is hug them. I was so grateful I cried.

It only took 3hrs from the time I felt that light bag to the time I had my devices back. I did not get my cord back for my laptop but did not want to be greedy, I had no problem buying another charger. Since then I have read others experience with the find my phone app and police that were not so lucky. I am grateful I am writing this story on my MacBook. I highly recommend making sure all devices are set up on the find my phone app.

2. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

3. v3nom macrumors member

Did they steal it or found it, because you lost it?

4. txcallahan thread starter macrumors newbie

txcallahan

It was stolen out of my car, my daughter forgot to lock it when she got her jacket out of it.

5. Alexrat1996 Suspended

i always put a lock in my laptop bag

6. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Excellent! Always glad to hear stories like this, where features work like they should. :)