Thank you Android

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wildonrio, Sep 21, 2014.

1. wildonrio macrumors 6502

I don't think Apple had any pressing plans to increase the original 3.5" screen if it wasn't for the intense pressure from fanboys who were jealous of Android phones. So for once I will say, thank you Android.

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

It's hard to say because Jobs was so adamantly against it. I suspect many people inside Apple wanted to go larger but couldn't get it past Jobs (or were afraid to even push for it). Remember they start working on the phones that are released today several years in the past.

That said, I agree, there is no doubt that the success of large screen Android phones ramped up the pressure on Apple. They realized they were leaving money on the table and ignoring it was untenable, it's just too bad it took them so long to come to that conclusion.

3. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

...conveniently allowing a ton more space for power? more juice but overall less phone in more space?

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

More space = more space for battery. I think iPhone's always adopted a small logic board with large battery for its size.

5. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

Good thread.

Thank you Android and Samsung for my iPhone 6 Plus. Best phone EVER.

6. Robstevo macrumors 6502

The thing a lot of Apple fan boys/girls don't realise is that competition, they get so pathetically wound up with the whole big corporation vs big corporation that they don't realise that competition is actually good for the consumer. Apple haven't innovated this year much , however due to competition, they have improved and caught up to competitors and made itself better

7. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

I find it funny how Samsung, in its latest Note 4 commercials, takes credit for Apple's move to produce bigger screened iPhones, implying it was because of them.

Let's not forget that the original iPhone basically is responsible for the ENTIRE smart phone industry in its current state. If it weren't for the iPhone, the Note and the Galaxy wouldn't even exist.

That's like an upstart automaker accusing Mercedes (the supposed very FIRST automaker) of copying its navigation screen sizes.

8. Segun macrumors newbie

I can't get my head around people thanking Android. Android is a OS, thank them for whatever OS upgrades we get that they already have.

Manufacturers like Samsung/Sony/HTC are the one's to thank.

Let's be honest and say a big screen is great. Yet there is no point having a big screen with a crap resolution. I feel that Apple should have upgraded the PPI with the 6 as they did with the 6+. Yet it's a great selling point for the 6+ over the 6.

We can't have it all I guess.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

But they're right. If it hadn't been for samsung and the popularity of the Note phone, we'd not see an iPhone 6 plus.

It doesn't matter if Apple turned the phone market on its ear with the iPhone 1. Its really what they are doing now. In this case the competition is what pushed apple to make the larger phone.

10. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

No doubt Apple followed Samsung on this one.

But it's the way Samsung markets itself. Very classless. And if they're gonna 'go there' per se, Samsung needs to be prepared for the truth: which is that Samsung's level of copying was infinitely greater.

If one is going to accuse someone of doing something, you can't then be guilty of doing the same thing, but to a MUCH greater degree. Extremely hypocritical.

11. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Why do people give credit to ANDROID, which is an operating system, for increasing the screen size of mobile devices? Android didn't do that, the handset makers did.

12. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

But that's been the MO of Samsung's phone division since day one. They're trying to be Microsoft in a market with multiple competitors and OSes, and while they're the big dog among Android manufacturers, they're in a neck and neck battle with Apple for leadership in the market segment.

13. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

It's an umbrella term.
    TO your point: because Android phone makers are so numerous, it would be awkward to say "thank you Samsung, LG, Sony, HTC, Nexus, etc..."

In practical terms, it's Apple vs Everyone else :p

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What do you mean by that? Prepared for the truth.

Apple tried to sue them, and while they won some legal battles they lost many others and even. I don't take what Samsung does personally, heck, I don't take what apple does personally. Both are multibillion dollar corporations that are looking to make a profit for their shareholders.

The Note phone is an excellent phone that has garnered a lot of followers, I was tempted by it, myself but I think the iOS platform offers too much to give up.

15. chupachup macrumors 6502

Too bad the extra space is wasted by an OS made for a 3.5" screen phone and all you have is a messy grid of icons.

----------

The Note is in a category of its own. You can't compare an iPhone to it. An iPhone 6 is just another iPhone with a bigger screen.

16. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

And the Note is a Galaxy phone with a bigger screen.

17. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Even Samsung is comparing the Note to the iPhone 6+, and iOS 8 was designed for larger screens from the jump. Early on in the developer beta people discovered that both the OS and Xcode had the ability to design for larger phone screens than what the 5c/5s had.

18. MecPro macrumors 6502

It's going to take Apple another major release to fully utilise the larger screen though. See the Plus' landscape keyboard for pointless design