Thank you Angela for a job well done!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AdonisSMU, Apr 10, 2015.

1. AdonisSMU, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015

AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I think this is the smoothest launch ever by Apple and it could've been a real mess with all the different band sizes and watch faces etc. I actually think Angela handled this brilliantly! She is really showing off her expertise in fashion. I'm very happy! :D

*I honestly think Tim and the boys could not have handled this launch without Angela there to help.*

2. bulbousnub macrumors 6502

To hell with that, she screwed this one up big time.

1. Overall limited selection
    2. Poorly trained retail employees
    3. Major purchase point didn't accept all forms of currency (no gift card in Apple Store app)
    4. No in-store purchases on launch day or near future. Also no in-store pickup or ship-to-store.

And there's plenty of other examples.

3. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

How did she alone handled it differently? It was a group effort, do not discredit the guys.

4. AdonisSMU, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015

AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 603

They never let you use gift cards on pre-order day. Today was no different. That is a technology limitation not a retail limitation from her perspective. My retail employee was great! I live in NYC. They seem to manage to educate themselves better here in the NYC. The man told me I was his first customer. He even showed me how to take the links off and put them back on and I got to try on a number of models. It was GREAT!!!!!

The selection was not limited compared to launching 1 or 2 iPhones each with varying sizes. These are watches.... with three lines with an array of banding options and sizes and things. Angela has only been at Apple not even 1 year yet. She is doing fabulously.

Could you imagine people waiting in line and then not having the right model they wanted....etc. This way they order and get exactly what they want so there is less need for returns bogging down store employee times.

5. ronm99 macrumors 6502

It was smooth, but I think you are giving too much credit to Angela.

There was a lot of demand, but I would guess that the demand was probably about 20% of the demand for the iPhone 6 launch. Apple has had practice tooling its servers to handle iPhone demand, so the smaller Apple Watch launch was easy by comparison.

6. AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 603

Good point it was a team effort!!!

7. bulbousnub macrumors 6502

I used a gift card on the website, no problem. I couldn't use it on the app though, which is my big beef.

Also, retail employees are hit-and-miss. I spoke with two different employees, one very knowledgeable and enthusiastic, one not so much. Anecdotal evidence, of course.

Either way, she (should have) oversight on each item on my list and I feel as though she missed some major points - leading me to believe she didn't necessarily do as well as she could have.

Looking at sales numbers though... yeah, everyone is gonna call it a success.

8. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

THIS. Every launch day has had stock available for in-store purchases, even if it was limited. People have always been able to lineup outside and be among the first to buy their new devices. It's so bizarre that this will be the first time we don't have this option and it really upsets me. I know many people make fun of those who like to camp outside for hours (and even days) in advance but, to me, that's always been a big part of launch day and what sets Apple apart from so many brands. I've only lined up for three launches (iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4S, iPad 2) and enjoyed it a lot each time and even when I opted to pre-order online, I still enjoyed turning on the news and seeing reports about people camping out at the stores. I really hope this is the first AND last time this happens.

9. bulbousnub macrumors 6502

As far as the lines go - one of the retail employees I spoke to today (the knowledgeable one) said something to the effect of "not wanting people lining up outside of the store anymore." I'm obviously paraphrasing but it definitely seems like ending lines is on Angela's agenda. As much as it sucks, I wouldn't be shocked to see something like this again.

10. AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 603

It's no mistake though. A watch is not a phone or an ipad. Launch lines are for iPads and iPhones not watches. With watches it seems so messy looking back at it. There were somethings that could be better but Apple will make fixes to it and learn from it. Angela was in the fashion biz so she can help them and has likely already mentioned many of the things you are saying to her colleagues and Apple is doing what they can right now.

Secondly, it's a pre-order.... Apple Watch doesn't launch until 4/24. What you are going to sleep outside the Apple Store to try on an Apple Watch?

11. cyberdogl2 macrumors regular

i just came back from my in-store try-on, hats off to you Angela!

i came into the store with no appointment and waited about 40 minutes. while waiting i played with all the products i've been meaning to come to the store to play with anyway.

the staff treated me really well considering they themselves have been slammed all day. he let me try on the couple options that i wanted, while giving me information that i already knew (but a non-apple enthusiast would find helpful.

i think they should have stressed that people should come down and try on the watch for themselves, seeing that even i was misled by the promo shots from apples website.

i really got a good feel for the watches and that's a testament to Angela's thoughtfulness and care in the entire buying process.

12. Cory Bauer macrumors 6502a

You guys do realize that when you tally up all watch sizes, bands, and band size options there is something like 54 different pre-boxed purchase options for Apple Watch, right?

Taking orders online and building them as they come was the only way to go. Trying to stock every store and guess the correct breakdown of inventory would have been virtually impossible. With these initial orders, they'll have data to help determine which models are most and least popular and stock stores accordingly.

13. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

missed this kind of good old fashion sarcasm here. :) Thanks

making people try it out in store by first having to make an appointment, and then ordering it online.

But oh wait, if you want to try it on, you'd miss the early ordering, so it's time to wait for 2 months. :)

**could easily be fixed by showing apple watch first before taking pre-order**

14. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Totally disagree on all counts. You think Angela really has control over launch day worldwide inventory and manufacturing ramp up. Your post reeks of I'm not pleased with the parameters of the launch and so I want to raise a big stink about it. And yet that doesn't surprise me at all.

15. bulbousnub macrumors 6502

Box the watch/charger and the bands separately.

16. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I like your response. Watching the initial demand should help them better gauge stock in the retail stores post launch with all the various possible configs. It makes a lot of sense.

17. AdonisSMU, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

Who are we kidding though, the fans would buy it regardless. Why make people who will buy site unseen compete with others who need more assurance before purchasing? Those who will buy site unseen are the people who will get it first and they should. They are the most excited and they are being rewarded buy getting first dibs on the watches.

Secondly, Apple is a build to order kind of company. My guess is that like the iPhone 6 many will recieve their watches early.

18. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

Now thats a smart idea. Today the Apple stores have bunch of various iPhone cases. So it wouldn't be a stretch to carry various watch straps. Just think how fast the sales process would be. Do you want 38 or 42?

19. AdonisSMU, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

Yeah but have you ever bought a watch face without a band? You could argue that the sport band should come buy default but then most people wouldnt customize it... Plus by not having just one default Its harder for the watch to be labled as geek wear. Its also harder to copy design wise. Arguably Watch should be more personal than the Iphone experience by default.

20. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I have no problem with Apple ending lines. It's totally passé now and just plays into the stereotype that Apple fans are part of some "iCult". Samsung exploited that really well in some of their ads.

21. Joe HS macrumors 6502

I can't help but feel this would have gone more smoothly if the bands weren't packaged with the watch - even if you could still only order some combinations.

22. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

I will wait to see when my watch turns up before I thank anyone.

23. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Given Angela is pushing for online purchases, and people were allowed to order multiple watches, to have them randomly cancelled by apple, she stuffed up in a major way. Apple should at least contact these people and ask them which order they would like to cancel, not randomly choose one, that is a crap purchasing experience.

24. SHNXX macrumors 68000

I think I understand the move more now that it seems that they have major supply constraints.

25. AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 603

Actually certain watches were cancelled like those people with country issues, business credit cards etc...that happens every release. Angela isnt to blame for that.