Thank you Apple for giving us a retina from the start.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by shenfrey, Apr 19, 2015.

1. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Some say that we should expect this, but for every product since the retina coming to the iPhone 4' we haven't seen a retina until second or even third iterations later.

iPad
    iPad Mini
    iMac
    MacBook

Here's Apple giving us one from the start, they could of easily given us a standard display, people would still snap em up and we would have something to buy next year. It's this decision that makes me believe that Apple Watch upgrades will be few and far between, least compared to iPhone and iPad.

2. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

I don't think a non-retina would ever be considered for a display this small where text readability is so fundamental

3. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

It isn't fundamental on the iPad or iPhone? And in terms of small screens, LG, Samsung and others have all opted for a non retina display, (Resolution that is, not the trademark) and have sold well.

4. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

iphone and iPad have a much bigger screen. I maintain my opinion that  never even considered a non-retina display for the  Watch

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

I agree! I'm glad the display isn't grainy in v1! It seems like Moto cut corners just to get the 360 out quick...that tire and the screen isn't as hd as it should be. Hopefully they are fixed this year.

6. Mildredop macrumors 68020

I think this is more a case of available and affordable technology at the time.

It'd be like, in 2007, saying "Thank you Apple for giving us a colour iPhone from the start".

High resolution LCD and OLED technology is mass produced and available at a very good price now.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

3 years of iPhone sales without retina displays says 'no' to that.

If it was fundamental no one would have bought the first one one and the iPhone 3G would have been forced to come out with a retina display.

8. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Speaking a bit prematurely aren't you? I mean we don't know how well the watch would of sold without a retina. Could of been 3 years of watches.

9. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I have to admit that I was surprised when the iPad mini came out in 2012 without a Retina Display, but I suspect that going forward that display quality will just be standard. It's 2015, Apple launched the first "retina display" on the iPhone 4 in 2010 - it should be a standard feature on new Apple products with a screen by now.

10. andrewpturko macrumors regular

andrewpturko

That's debatable. Although, something tells me they wouldn't have sold better with a retina equivalent display either.

11. NocturnalJazz macrumors regular

I'm waiting for the AppleWatch with a 5K display next year.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

How is me talking about 2007-2009 "premature?"

You asked about the iPhone and my answer was about the iPhone. I have no clue what might happen to the Apple Watch.

13. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

I couldn't imagine the amount of derision if this thing were not retina.

14. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

In this day and age, not having Retina display would be shocking.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The genius of Apple creating this marketing term, is that EVERYTHING they make is "retina" at some distance.

Code:
    PPI   Retina   Device
    ===   ====    ====================
    302   12.0"   Apple Watch 42mm
    290   12.3"   Apple Watch 38mm

Code:
    PPI   Retina   Device
    ===   ====    ====================
    300   12.0"   Samsung Galaxy Gear S
    285   12.8"   Asus Zen Watch
    280   13.0"   Sony Smartwatch 3
    278   12.8"   Samsung Gear Live
    245   14.6"   LG Watch R
    238   15.0"   LG Watch G
    205   17.4"   Moto 360
    Basically, if you get any of the current smartwatches... including Apple's... closer than a foot away, they are no longer considered "retina" for the majority of people with good eyesight. In real life, of course, each person is different.

Also, in reality, Apple had little choice since other makers will no doubt be improving their screens throughout the coming year, and Apple is probably on a yearly cycle as usual.

16. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

If they are on a yearly cycle they best sell the watch on its own, otherwise they are screwed.