iPad mini Thank you Apple! Replacing my iPhone 4 with an iPad Mini 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DracoDWS, Oct 22, 2013.

1. DracoDWS macrumors member

DracoDWS

Thanks Apple!

You finally gave me what i wanted, when i wanted it. I was so disappointed when the iPhone 5C came out that it was so expensive (off contract).

My AT&T contract expired and i switched to Consumer Cellular. I used very little in terms of minutes and data. I went from $70/month to -$25/month ($15/200Min - $5/50MB/500Txt)

But my iPhone 4 Home Button stopped working (almost completely, it still works but you have to click it like 8 times before it wants to do anything) and i need to get something new.

I didn't want to spend $650 on an off contract phone (32GB) (with the A6) when you could get the A7 for $100 more. (my iPhone 4 is a 32GB - i didn't want to go down to 16GB)
    While there are a bunch of games that i'd like to get that are iPad only.

I like the size and weight of the iPad Mini but didn't like that it was only the A5 and didn't want to get a new iPhone & iPad.

Now, finally, Apple does the right thing. Putting the A7 in the iPad Mini & giving it Retina Display!

Thank you T-Mobile too!

I'm definitely getting the Mini 2 with 4G. I can replace my iPhone with a free Google Voice line & Talkatone and T-Mobile has a free 200MB/month plan!

My research (over the last 20 minutes) looks like Talkatone only uses between 0.12MB/Min and 1.4MB/Min of data.

I only use my iPhone (if i even need to use the phone) when i'm out of the house at an appointment, which isn't very often, and using less than 150 minutes + less than 50MB of data at that, i can cancel my Consumer Cellular plan and save $25 a month to pay for the iPad.

Thanks Apple. Now i just have to decide which color and what size.

2. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

3. Bob Sanders macrumors member

Why Talkatone? You can call directly from the Hangouts app now. :)

4. DracoDWS thread starter macrumors member

DracoDWS

OK, I'll look at Hangouts. As far as Google stuff goes, I only have a GMail address so i haven't kept up with everything Google's been doing, i guess.

I just searched for iPad as a phone, and read about Google voice & talk atone together.

5. Atrin1 macrumors regular

I've thought about this numerous of times. Getting rid of my iPhone 5 and strictly use an iPad/iPad mini. I think for me it still isn't practical.

I'd like to be probven wrong tho. So keep us up to date

6. mateo124 macrumors regular

A phone is meant for talking. A tablet, well everything but talking. Why on earth would you replace your iPhone with an iPad??

7. faiz23 macrumors 6502

faiz23

8. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

9. M87 macrumors 65816

I'm seriously considering a similar move. My verizon contract is up in a week and I hardly talk on the phone at all. And with google hangouts, google voice, and iMessage I can make and receive calls and texts completely free anyway. The only problem is I have to figure out some way to carry the thing everywhere without feeling like a total dork.

10. DracoDWS thread starter macrumors member

DracoDWS

Exactly.

Having Cerebral Palsy and needing to use my iPhone headphones or use the speakerphone on my iPhone to make a call most of the time anyway (as opposed to try and hold my iPhone up to my ear without dropping it) I always keep my iPhone on my lap in my electric wheelchair, the iPad Mini will be easier to use with bigger buttons to hit on the screen.

And with email, iMessage, FaceTime, who really needs to just talk to a person anymore.

I'm home most of the time (on WiFi) and would only be taking it to Dr. appointments and stuff, where they don't want you to use a cell phone anyway. It would only be for emergency phone use (i know there's no 911 - that's not what i mean) just to call Mom or Dad or Neighbor to say i'm running early/late or in a vehicle emergency - call AAA or something.

11. bkribbs macrumors 65816

What would be really cool is if devs could load the iPhone OS onto the iPads and adjust the resolution, so you could actually have a phone. It would function since it has cellular antennas right?