Thank You Apple Store!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dextor143, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Dextor143 macrumors 6502

I have a Macbook Pro 2.33 GHz (mid 2007 model)...2 weeks earlier my battery expanded and broke my laptop's frame and left fan...I had no hope of getting it fixed by the apple as my warranty has been expired for over 2 years...

The tech support guy at the Apple store did everything for me for Free

* Gave me a free Brand new battery
    * Replaced the top frame
    * Replace the left fan for free

About $400.00 worth of work for free :)

THANK YOU

2. laser71 macrumors regular

Wasn't the battery recalled, and therefore those fixes should have been for free? Thought I had read that.

Either way, congrats

3. Built macrumors 68020

Congrats!

Suffice it to say that most other manufacturers would have told you you were SOL...and, in the event of a recall, would probably have just told you that they would exchange the battery but the rest of the damage would be on your dime!

4. alt macrumors regular

Thank you for giving you a faulty battery? I think not...they should be telling YOU thanks for dealing with their shiz

5. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I had a friend who got his whole outer casing fixed for free on his Macbook even though the warranty expired a few years ago.

6. laser71, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

laser71 macrumors regular

A related story: A few years ago my Volvo's engine exploded (literally). The car was 6yrs old and out of it's warranty. We had it towed to the dealer, fully expecting to have to scrap it. But then got a call from the dealer informing us that they spoke to the head office, who said "although it's out of warranty, that should never happen to any of our cars, no matter how old" - and had a new engine shipped from Sweden and installed - 100% free. They even provided a temporary car for the month that our car was being repaired.

Point is that when a good company sees a clear manufacturing defect on their end was an issue, they often replace it for free - even if outside of the traditional warranty.

7. alt macrumors regular

Now this I can appreciate. They know that what happened shouldn't have happened and felt obligated to fix it. You don't see this much in the auto industry.

8. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Free to you maybe. People like me will have to pay for it though.

I'm not chastising you for you're good fortune... we all like free stuff. I'm just saying this is one of the reasons why Apple products cost so much.

9. Squadleader macrumors regular

I have always been treated equally well, which is why I buy their products...

10. Built macrumors 68020

They are building brand loyalty.

Just try the same with Dell and see how far you get!

11. alt macrumors regular

I guarantee this doesn't happen that often..when out of warranty.

How about all the stories of people still IN WARRANTY with problems...and apple claims water damage and wont fix? I know 3 people this has happened to. Just sayin. :eek:

12. HBOC macrumors 68020

so i guess you are hating because I just got $1300 worth of work done to my early 08' Penryn 2.5GHZ MBP done under warranty?

If you don't like that "people like you" will have to pay for it, then stick with something else other than Apple. I am sure you would turn down "free" work when you are in his (or anybody else that has warranty work done at no cost) shoes?

13. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

its not just about brand loyalty or customer satisfaction
    its about preventing law suits
    $400 is way cheaper than going to court.
    It's possible to sue for something as small as an exploding battery, and if lawyers catch wind and make it a class action, then the lawyers come away with millions.

14. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

You don't see this much of anywhere... kudos to Apple and Volvo.

15. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Apple is great with these kinds of things. My experience with them is great, but I have never brought an out of warranty product to the Apple store for repairs.

16. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

My story probably isn't as exciting, but here it goes. So when I got my first MacBook in 2008, I noticed it had a dead pixel. Sadly, I noticed this issue about 30 days after buying the Mac. Even with that, its usually not a reason for them to allow you to return or exchange it if there aren't a certain amount of dead pixels. Anywho, I took it to the Apple store and explain my story. Then I had to explain it again to the store manager. He was nice enough to give me a brand new macbook without any extra cost. I'm now a dedicated customer to that specific store :)

17. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

Exactly how I feel and why I have no problem paying what some say is a "premium" price for Apple products.

Glad to hear it worked out for you !

18. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

And people like you are what exactly?

19. kk08053 macrumors newbie

I've always been well cared for

I've been a very long time Apple customer. I owned the original Mac as a college student back in the fall of 1984. Recently I had a similar experience with Apple. I have a 2006 Macbook and the edges of the top plate around the keyboard got small cracks and pieces of it broke away. Originally, this was fixed under my Applecare plan when I had owned the laptop about 15 months. This last summer, a year after my warranty had expired, the same thing happened again. I gave a call out to California to their customer service department, told them what happened, they checked the service record for the computer and arranged for a local Apple Reseller I use to order all the necessary parts. They replaced the top case AND keyboard and it cost me nothing. Like any other manufacturer, Apple will occasionally have issues to deal with, BUT their general product quality is well above the curve and they have always taken good care of me as a customer, hence I continue to be a loyal fan of their products.

20. kk08053 macrumors newbie

confused

BTW.....Why is it that people that so obviously have a chip on their shoulder that they have to find ways to say crap about Apple feel the need to sign up and post in a Mac forum website???? What kind of troll are you people? Go get a life and go enjoy your (Dell, HP, Android, Zune or whatever else it is that you use)

21. easepease macrumors regular

problem is a lot of times people start to expect to get stuff fixed like this out of warranty. Apple is on the whole great when it comes to repairs and making their customers happy. Whenever i go in for a service i see at least 2 people who get stuff fixed out of warranty, mainly ipods but still. Apple has some issues (my iMac has gone back 7 times) but they get worked out in a professional manner. I always am tempted by cheap windows pcs when i go shopping for a new computer, but always remind myself how much easier life is with a mac!

22. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

The bottom line is that batteries aren't supposed to expand like that, but sometimes they do. Apple is probably glad it didn't explode and cause a fire or injury to the user. What it costs them to fix it is nothing compared to what it could have cost in legal expenses if there were serious injuries as a result of the battery exploding.

Though, a word to the wise, people: If your battery does not hold AT LEAST half its original charge (either in actual charge stored or in actual runtime), you need to have that battery replaced. Ignoring that situation is just asking for a disaster to happen.

23. filmweaver macrumors regular

Congrats!

I had a similar experience a long while ago. We bought a new Saturn back in 1991. When I got it home the following day my wife noticed a small oil spot on the garage floor. I took the car back to the dealer and they found a bad seal on a transaxle. Long story short, they took back the vehicle and gave me a brand new one with more options for an even trade. The new one was a great car we had for over 13 years. I love hearing about companies standing behind their products. Apple has helped me out as well when I had a problem with our Mac Pro, brand new swap with that too.
    Keep up the good work, that is how you retain customers for a long time.

24. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Saturn have a business model where customer service plays huge part. Does not surprise me one bit with your good experience but its always good to hear of one's positive experiences rather than the usual moan.

Anyway, I had a problem with my trackpad the other day. Paid a visit to my local Apple Store, and in 5mins BINGO!... my MBP had a new trackpad. Absolutely brilliant service, 5+ stars! Don't think anyone can beat that!!!

25. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

yeah that battery most likely fell under the recall. they don't do stuff for free out of the kindness of their hearts. glad it worked out for you. free is always the best price.:D