Thank you Apple!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by timothevs, Dec 9, 2009.

1. timothevs macrumors 6502

timothevs

Sorry for the length of this post.

The past Black Friday I took advantage of the discounts on Apple.com and bought a slew of Apple products. The one I most looked forward to, was the new base configuration iMac 21.5", that I decided to purchase, hoping for a flawless machine. I had read about all the issues that have plagued the line, but told myself, hey not all of the machines could be faulty.

Well, when my iMac arrived, I tried it, and my first impression was just Wow. The screen looked beautiful, the machine, just so elegant. It is after working on it for a few hours that I noticed the bottom half of the screen had a rather pronounced yellow tinge. I tried to ignore it for a while, but soon it just gnawed at me, looking at the bright whites at the top half and the dingy yellows at the bottom. I called Apple support and the associate had me reset the PRAM etc, but to no avail. He told me to take it to the Apple Retail Store, for a genius to examine it.

What followed next, I have written about in another thread. A horrid experience to say the least. Thanks to a forum member here, I got an email address, that I wrote to, describing my experience at the Apple Store, and how insulted my wife and I felt, being talked down to, called liars in all but the name, etc. I didn't expect anything to come out of this. I have mailed Dell Corporate and other companies in the past, only to be ignored.

But then, day before yesterday, someone from Corporate mailed me, asking for my phone number, and apologizing for the incident. I mailed back that I was indeed very appreciative that someone took the time out to follow up with me, and that from my side, this gesture they had made, was enough.

However, yesterday, I get a call from Apple Corporate, and the lady was just the nicest. She apologized profusely for the bad experience at the store, and listened very patiently while I explained that it was not the faulty hardware that had us upset, but rather the treatment meted out by the "Genius" on staff. I explained to her, that I understood that the associate might not have been able to recreate the problem immediately, but there was no basis in calling my wife and I, liars.

She told me, that if I was willing, they'd be more than happy to make the situation right. She had located a week 41* iMac in the retail store, and that even though this was a higher CTO Mac (3.33Ghz, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, with discrete graphics), Apple would be willing to give this unit to me at no additional charge. I could inspect the machine for as long as I desire at the store, and accept it if I wanted.

I was just dumbfounded. I didn't expect that in the least. For me, just the courtesy call/email was enough, but Apple went above and beyond what was required/called for, to make their customer happy. I have nothing but the utmost regard for a company that would go out of its way to address its customers' concerns, when it could very well choose to disregard the same (like Dell, HP, and Sony have in the past, for instance). Needless to say, they have won over an Apple fan for life.

And yes, the new machine is flawless. Thank you :apple:.

*I should mention that on the day I went for my Genius Bar appointment I had asked for a Week 41 machine in the store, as all the ones on display didn't have yellow tinges, and were week 41. I didn't expect the Apple Store employees to entertain that request then, but they refused my request rather rudely, telling me that I would be charged a restocking fee if I didn't accept any iMac they brought out for me outright.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

here...

4. timothevs thread starter macrumors 6502

timothevs

5. macinhand macrumors regular

macinhand

Ditto!

I totally agree with you after my experience with Apple Corporate Customer Service!

I had a similar experience with my iPhone 3G when that had a problem i too called at my local store to visit the Genius bar to exchange the iPhone to be told we will never exchange the iPhone again as you have already had it changed once before for the same problem!

I wasn't very pleased with this response so i called Apple CS to be greeted by the most pleasant & understanding man, after explaining the situation and the advisor reading the notes that the Genius bar had left on my account he resolved the situation by asking me would i be willing to accept a brand new factory sealed 3G S, i could not resist!!

But the icing on the cake came when he said "in future if you have any problems with any of your Apple products send him an email and he will phone me back" now that's what i call service :apple:

6. timothevs thread starter macrumors 6502

timothevs

"Why did it take me so long to make the move to Apple Mac as i love it"

Totally agree there.

I am just pleased as punch. As others said, "this is what I would expect from Apple". I used to take that at face value, but now that I've seen it - I am impressed.

7. flakes8 macrumors regular

flakes8

As satisfied as everyone is, the underlying problem seems to be the Apple retail store and it should have never gotten to the level everyone is talking about. I agree Apple customer phone & online service is second to none as I have experienced in the past but the stores and the company are one and the same and store policy is dictated from above. I know no one can control rude people but they can be fired, there are a thousand nice people right behind them that need a job !!!!! Just my two cents, I AM GLAD EVERYTHING WORKED OUT IN THE END !!!!!!! :)

8. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

9. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Well, I have to weigh in on the Apple Store and its Geniuses:
    Last weekend, my daughter's two-year-old refurb Blackbook coughed up the hard drive. No AppleCare. We took it into the Syracuse Apple Store, the Genius quoted $217 to replace the drive, we said go ahead. An hour later, she went back to pick it up and they gave it to her free of charge.
    I love Apple.

10. solchitlins macrumors regular

I'm glad it worked out for you.

But I'm sitting here on the fence wanting to order a new 21.5" Imac.

Is mine going to have a yellow tinge or noisy "high pitched" screen etc... ?

I wish they were just right to begin with...

11. timothevs thread starter macrumors 6502

timothevs

I ventured a gamble, citing the argument that not every machine can have a defect, and wound up with a yellow tinged machine. Not once but twice. Had Apple not rectified the problem and arranged a week 41 machine, I would've returned the iMac I had, and would've definitely waited till they acknowledged/ figured out a solution.

12. Stuipdboy1000 macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

They did exactly the same for me! It was completely unexpected, and it's things like that that make me stick with Apple.

13. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I'm sorry, but many American consumers are so spoiled that the level of
    hand holding they demand is just way over the line. You probably had more
    of a personality clash than anything else. It happens. People are wound way too tight sometimes.
    Too much drama, ie the overlong rationalization and explanation of the problem.

People need to be told no more often, albeit without personal comment.