"Thank You" Button

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by LadyX, Jan 29, 2014.

1. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

Can we have this feature in the forums? Basically if someone appreciates ones post they can just hit the "Thanks" button instead of quoting the post and replying.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Why not just use the "Vote Up" button without adding an additional button?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How would anyone know who was saying thanks? I personally like the idea of taking the time to personally give thanks to someone who has helped, rather than pass it off to a button. Using a button seems to say, "I'm grateful enough to click a button, but not grateful enough to click two buttons and type "Thanks!"".

4. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

"Thank You" Button

I just think having this feature would be reasonable. And to be honest I use the vote up button when I like a post. Two separate buttons saying thank you and liking someone's post would be nice. For example if I click on the Thanks button, the post I thanked can have something like this written under it: 'Thanked by X'

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The "Thanked by X" entries could be much longer than the actual post, cluttering the forum. The other problem that exists now with the up vote button is people would be clicking the "Thanks" button on their own posts, defeating the purpose. There's just no shortcut that's a reasonable substitute for taking the time to press 8 keys on the keyboard. If that's too much trouble, it's likely there's not that much gratitude to be expressed, to begin with.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I also think it is better to just post or PM someone you want to thank.

7. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

That was an issue with the Vote Up button. Users were able to vote up on their own posts but this can't be done anymore which is logical. The same can be done with the "Thank You" button? I personally do quote and say Thanks but I was just hoping for something quicker or even Thanking a random user who I found his/her post to be helpful and thanking them even though I wasn't a participant in the discussion. I'm sorry if I don't make sense.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The idea does make sense, but the execution is problematic. It would be useful to know, for example, how many people found a post helpful, both for the poster to know they're on target with their answers, and for someone reading the post, to have an indication that the posted answer worked for others. The challenge comes in trying to execute that in an unobtrusive way that isn't likely to be abused.

9. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

"Thank You" Button

I feel that posts that say "Thank you" clog up a thread and diverts from the conversation as opposed to having a small "Thanked by X" at the end of a post. I don't know but that's just my opinion.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I agree. This is implemented in a non-obtrusive way on other forums.

The DBSTalk forums has a feature very much like what you suggested.

You click "Like This" (could be changed to Thanks or whatever) at the bottom right of the message...

[​IMG]

... and you get this. Showing myself and user Loudo liked this post.

[​IMG]

Then if you hover over the username you get a popup with their info like this.

[​IMG]

11. LadyX, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014

LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

"Thank You" Button

Exactly. It would be great if MR implements something like this. Appreciate the screenshots.

12. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm with GGJ....I've spent many an hour helping people out, sometimes they say thank you sometimes they don't....I'd rather a personal written response than just a button.