Thank You, Data Rescue 3.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by quasinormal, Nov 10, 2011.

1. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

This is the best $100 I ever spent.

I've been busy the last few weeks ripping CDs, embedding artwork and sorting things out in a 1TB plus Apple lossless library, before I put all my stuff in storage and travel for a while. Its been a complete disaster. I wanted to put a SSD and a 1TB drive in a MBP thinking iTunes was only 920GB when in reality it is closer to 1TB due to the way iTunes addresses the 1024 bit in a meg thing.

I moved everything to a seagate goflex 2TB FW800, thinking I'll boot into that and continue working and then image it over to a 2 x 1TB RAID 0 in the MBP. A week ago I killed my back up drive (plugged in the wrong power adapter) and I thought then how unlucky would I have to be to kill my main as well in the next . The other day we had a major electrical storm and I switched everything off, not realising that I'd postponed a restart after a software update a few days earlier. I'd corrupted the main drive and after trying a few things made it worse, without having made a back up because i was waiting to buy a new drive.

I was heartbroken thinking I'd need to use a old 3 week back-up and lose all that work. Tech Tool Pro has helped me out heaps of time in the past, but it was too far gone for it. I googled for data recovery and found a few threads around the place recommending Data Rescue 3. I downloaded the demo and DR3 did a scan of the drive and showed a graph representing read speeds. The data recovery allowed me to pinpoint the music folder and then direct the recovered files via target disc mode to a Mac Pro. You'll have to excuse my dodgy way of doing things while the wait for Thunderbolt proper continues.

It took 10 hours to recover the 1.04TB. I hope starting this thread doesn't make me seem like a shill, but I am so impressed by this software and ever so grateful for getting my files back.

2. Diiiiips macrumors regular

I've just discovered this program. I was node ring to use it on my fully working MBP, I need a spare HD right?

I've got a portable HD but that has movies, etc on it. Will using Drive Rescue wipe the spare hard drive as it recovers data?

3. simsaladimbamba

No.

I had to use DR3 several times already, and once it took almost a week to recover data from a 27 GB iBook HDD, but it worked.
    The other times I used it, it was much quicker.

Nowadays I just backup important data (my photos and my video footage) at least twice, thus I have three copies of it.
    Text documents get backed up via DropBox and music gets backed up once.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yep, I've used Data Rescue many times for things that no other software I had would work for (not personal stuff, at work). It's quite impressive software.

jW

5. Diiiiips macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Will it be ok if I select a 4gb pen drive for it to put the retrieved data on?

I take it that it shows me what data I want to recover before it physically brings it back?

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It should, yes. I have not used Data Rescue, but I have used Alsoft's DiskWarrior for a similar recovery job. Worked perfectly, and let me choose exactly what to save.

7. Diiiiips macrumors regular