Thank you Genius!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ermir4444, Dec 7, 2011.

1. ermir4444 macrumors regular

ermir4444

So i took my 30 month old MBP to the genius bar to replace the battery. It had 927 cycles and about 61% health. The "Service Battery" sign had come up too. Although i still had 6 months of Apple Care left i was ready to pay for it (129.99 parts + 39.99 labor CAD pricing) because i read in the forums that it wasn't covered under Apple Care.

Long story short the Genius told me that the battery will be covered under Apple Care because it was still under 1000 cycles and had only 61% health. Apparently it is supposed to have 80% or more health under 1000 cycles.

As if that wasn't nice enough he checked the stock and it turns out that they had the part in store. He changed the battery on the spot (took him about 10 mins). It takes about 3-5 business days for such repairs considering the store i went to (Apple Store Eaton Center) is the busiest in Canada.

Not only did i get a brand new battery for free (saved me 180$), it also saved me the inconvenience of being without my laptop for almost a week during exam time. I was out working in about 20 mins. Man you got to love Apple and their customer service.

On a side note: My screen seems to be much more lively since the new battery was installed. It is much brighter and the colors pop much more. I dont know if this is the effect of the new battery or if they calibrated it while they replaced the battery!!!

They also installed a 5750 mhA battery instead of the 5450 mhA that originally came with my MBP. I guess this new one is from the 2011 13" MBP.

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Great result :) Thanks for sharing. Nice to hear you seem to have received a higher capacity battery, too!

I'm glad Apple are taking the 1000 cycle thing seriously. It's great to be able to expect so many cycles from a laptop battery these days. Ok, perhaps a little disappointing that after ~1000 cycles and 2.5 years there was only ~60% capacity remaining, but hey, batteries are still a long way from perfect.

3. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I've always come away from Genius visits very happy.

I once took in a 24" iMac for a dying HDD, the confirmed the HDD was put and it was put in for repair. Took them three days to do the work, when I got it back it was perfect. A new HDD and a new LCD Panel. ( though I did not complain about the LCD the tech saw one tiny bad area in a corner and replaced it )

4. Sevastos macrumors newbie

Got a question for you. If you didn't have Apple Care at all, would they still replace your battery or not?

5. ermir4444 thread starter macrumors regular

ermir4444

I don't think so. The battery is not defective, its just normal wear and tear from all the usage

6. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

it is a grey area, but if you didn't I'd bet you'd have to be really nice to them to get it replaced.

7. jon08 macrumors 65816

Well that's hella nice they replaced your battery. :) My AppleCare runs out at the end of this month and at 269 cycles I'm getting 60-70% health on my battery - will try to get a replacement before I'm out of warranty, though I'm rather skeptical about it.

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

It's not normal wear and tear. Apple says that the battery should stay above 80% until it has 1000 cycles. So if it goes below 80% earlier, it is a hardware defect.

However, if you're out of warranty, you still have to pay to get hardware defects fixed... so no applecare = self pay.

9. ermir4444 thread starter macrumors regular

ermir4444

You should definitely give it a try. Did you get the "service the battery" notification yet? Just be nice to them, and if they wont replace it, nicely remind them of the below 80 % health under 1000 cycles rule. GL

10. jon08 macrumors 65816

Yeah, the "Service Battery" sign has been there for a while now... I tried calibrating the battery a couple of times, but to no avail - once the health even dropped to 54%.

11. jon08 macrumors 65816

Just to share my positive experience with everyone else: I took my early 2008 MBP in for repair because at 271 cycles the battery health was between 55-75% and the "Service Battery" had been showing for a while. Moreover, there was a dead pixel on the screen plus two "dots" that looked more like dust, but wasn't sure what it was.

Since I was still under AppleCare, they replaced my old battery with a new one and replaced my screen as well (this one was refurbished, though).:cool:

In any case, kudos to Apple for that. And as if that wasn't enough, looks like I'll need my logic board replaced as well because I got an error saying "4VDC/1/40000003 Video Controller" when I ran the Apple Hardware Test. So I'm basically getting most of the components replaced before selling this MBP.:D:cool: