Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Tonight I had the unfortunate - but fortunate - opportunity to take full advantage of Time Machine, so I thought I'd share my story. I'm happy to say that it worked great (except for a couple of minor fluky things)!

After upgrading to 10.5.3, I restarted my computer. Something must have gotten corrupted, because it wouldn't restart. It would get hung up on the grey screen, fans would kick into high gear for a while, and then it would just turn off. Not good.

I grabbed my install disc and was able to boot off of that. But I was getting a file system error when I tried to verify the disc. Right before I went ahead with attempting to reinstall OS X, I saw a menu option to restore from Time Machine. I forgot it had this capability - I tend to think of it for just restoring individual files. I haven't really heard of anyone using it for this but figured I'd give it a shot. Very cool how it works - You can chose which backup you want to use for your restore. And it shows you what version of OS X each backup uses. So I was able to go back and select the last 10.5.2 backup.

After almost 5 hours, the restore completed. Everything is there, and the system appears to be okay! Phew - I have to say, Time Machine worked great! This one issue made the Leopard upgrade worth every penny (and then some)!

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Aaaah, nothing like feeling good about your backup plan. The single time when it saves you, makes it worth the time/effort/disk space.

Glad it worked out for ya.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
No kidding!

The only weirdness I've noticed so far is with iTunes...

I had to re-authorize my purchased music. Also, it only recognized my iPod Touch for certain features. No problem with music or video, but it thought my photos came from a different iPhoto library so I had to re-sync them (which takes a while because it is now re-optimizing the 5 GB of photos I keep on it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.