thank you walt mossberg

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by manhattanmania, Jul 8, 2008.

1. manhattanmania macrumors regular

and i quote:

"One side benefit to 3G is that in some areas, voice coverage improves. At my neighborhood shopping center, where the first iPhone got little or no AT&T service, the iPhone 3G registered strong coverage. But I still found that calls regularly broke up on some major streets. In New York City, riding in a taxi along the Hudson, one important call was dropped three times on the new iPhone. Finally, I borrowed a cheap Verizon phone and got perfect reception."

so vindicated i feel.:D:D:D

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20080708/newer-faster-cheaper-iphone-3g/

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

AT&T coverage is better in some areas. Verizon is better in others. Wow. Shocker. I mean, I would've never guessed that about competing wireless companies before a frickin' iPhone review. :eek:

3. manhattanmania thread starter macrumors regular

yes yes i know, its just nice to hear a reviewer for the wall street journal that we all know say what i've said on these forums and been criticized over the top for.

4. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Yeah, leaving Verizon has been a bit of a concern for me (I live in the Hartford, CT area). I think (hope) AT&T will be decent for general usage, but I also spend a lot of time skiing in VT in the winter and I'm worried about how that service is gonna be...

5. guitarguy09 macrumors member

Nice... hopefully that AIM app will be free...

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Some people aren't very bright. :) I had Cingular/AT&T before the iPhone came out, so I knew what I was getting into. That's why it's good that you can cancel your contract within 30 days. I live in metro Atlanta, so I don't really have many problems. Then there's my uncle, who lives on the side of a mountain in semi-rural Alabama. You get almost NO cell service there even though he literally lives ON the Tennessee River with a clear line of sight for about a mile up and down the river. Problem is there apparently is no AT&T cell tower in that range. Cell companies are sometimes bizarre.

7. calpolygraduate macrumors regular

yeah i'm going to get it friday morning and if i get no reception at my house, i'm going to return it the same day :) i just hope i do!!

8. bavarian3 macrumors member

9. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Part of the IT infrastructure team I'm a member of provides service for our hundreds of voice/data Blackberry devices. I've always heard that Verizon "rules the northeast US". I know the other players have since provided great coverage, but where things are spotty or on fringe areas, Verizon is usually their choice. It's been a while since I've heard that, so I'm not sure that's still the case. As is always the situation with any mobile phone coverage, if your house is in a "dead zone" it doesn't matter how great their coverage is everywhere else, it's going to be an annoyance.

10. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

I was just mentioning in another thread that I was trying out an LG Dare this last week on Verizon, and I was quite surprised to see I got poor reception at home. (I live in a suburb of Boston, and according to their coverage maps am solidly in range.) My Blackberry from work (using AT&T) gets a great signal, and my current cell phone running on Sprint also gets excellent coverage.

Moral of the story: you can never take for granted which network will be best for you until you actually try it out with your cell phone of choice at home.