Thanks a lot little kid.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eyemacg5, Feb 9, 2008.

1. eyemacg5 macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

Well friday I was just leaving my last lesson of the day at school, and some little kid around 12/13 years old come up to me and kicked my back really hard with which I could only begin to imagine steel toe capped boots. What was in my bag? A few books and my MacBookPro. Theres a dent in the expresscard slot, a crack on the screen and the cable or board is broken that connects the gpu to the screen.

According the my Deputy Head the childs family will have to pay for a repair that apple quotes me at £333 incl vat + labour. This is for the whole top clamshell.

My question is would it be wise to replace the hard drive because they don't like knocks?

2. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Yeah, get everything repaired, that little bastard deserves to suffer.
    I would honestly press charges, and get him to go to Juvi. Don't know how the law is on young offenders in the U.K but in Canada you can get them charged :D

3. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

that 12/13 sounds like a baby!!!! im 14 right now, and, well, don't see my self kicking a teacher!!!

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

When chavs attack!

At least you've had a word with his parents, and will be getting funds to fix it.

5. eyemacg5 thread starter macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

I'm only 16 myself, not a teacher hehe.
    Maybe I can get him to have to pay for me to have a 2.5" WD Scorpio 320gb.

6. Twilight Elk macrumors regular

Twilight Elk

Trust me on this; there are morons in my high school who are 17/18 and they do stupid stuff like this all the time. Some people are mature while others are just plain stupid.

7. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I agree...may as well get it repaired if you can while someone else is paying.

8. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

MAMA!!! sounds like a deal!! did you ask?

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Did he have his black track suit on? Stupid scallies.

10. eyemacg5 thread starter macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

Nah but I might have to for my trauma and lack of equipment to do my graphics work on.

No we have a formal uniform.

11. GroovyLinuxGuy macrumors regular

GroovyLinuxGuy

I don't know if you would be able to that covered unless you could prove that there was something wrong with the HD. You could run a diagnotic on it and see if there is any problems with it.

Personally, though, as someone else said, it might be worth trying to make the little bastard pay. Though I doubt it, maybe he'll learn a lesson from it if it hurts enough.

12. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

here's a question, why do you have a laptop (and a pro at that) if you're only in the UK equivalent of high school? haha.

anyways, get in touch with his parents, say the kid broke a $2k computer, and get them to pay for it. then beat up the kid.

13. GroovyLinuxGuy macrumors regular

GroovyLinuxGuy

Does it really matter why he has it??

14. eyemacg5 thread starter macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

I wanted it, I worked all summer break of 07 to pay for it. I work at a graphic design company and also do most of my coursework in Adobe Illustrator.

15. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

effing chavs and scallies, you should hv beaten that lil piece of s up. make sure you get back what you deserve from the bastard and his ma

16. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

If you are getting full restitution, then replacing parts that don't need it, or replacing parts with higher spec/cost parts is tantamount to stealing.

There is a really old adage: "Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right" :)

If the hard drives does fail, then certainly the parents should pay for a replacement of the same model.

17. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

That sucks... But I feel your pain. I have little sh*ts like that in my school and that's partially why I'm dying for college to get back in touch with me so that I know whether or not I have to stay at my current hell hole known as school.

Let's hope he's one of those chavs who went rotten because of over-nourishment...

Otherwise I don't see it getting paid. If it takes too long, talk to the school again and if nothing happens then, take it to the police. Even if they don't pay, you'll at least have the satisfaction of the kid or parents getting in a hell of a lot of trouble.

Uhh... yeeeessss ;) Well, you're young and you don't get money that easily (or maybe you do, I dunno) so squeeze every penny out of it. Just say that the hard drive suffered a shock from the damage and you'd like the money for a replacement, otherwise your laptop is just a brick, whether or not it's fixed.

Yeah... You can't escape the common fool. Sadly, there are waaaay too many of them. Why can't the sensible people go and live on an island together?

Nah. They wouldn't allow that as an excuse. You can only get away with that in a court case, not in front of people with common sense ;)

Actually, I think he's in the UK equivalent of Freshman... I dunno how this works but I think that's what it is...

Still, I would take MY Macbook into school to do my work on if I had a Macbook... My school currently has PCs set to the "classic" theme that use Internet Explorer 6 as the only browser, so you know... it's not exactly the nicest of IT Solutions. Plus, he said he does graphic design (of some sort) so maybe he feels he'll work better with software he's used to because his cruddy school doesn't have any of it? (My school, for example, think that teaching kids how to make a crappy website in Microsoft Publisher is an insight into web development... ugh... it made me want to cry when I had to do it... considering I went home everyday to Dreamweaver).

So yeah, there are probably loads of reasons why he would want to take a Mac into school xD

Yeah but what happens if he breaks HIS Macbook Pro? :D

18. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

This year I'm going to turn 14. And, I, anti-microsoft, do not consider myself immature for my age. Neither do the teachers at my school and neither do my parents.

19. Crossbone macrumors regular

I would tell the parents that the HDD might fail soon due to the kick and you don't know if it will fail, but you think so, therefore they will prob. get that replaced too.

I'm 14, i have a MacBook Pro as well (15.4"), and I have taken it to school twice this year, I think it's just to big to take around, thats why I would love to get a MacBook Air and take that everywhere i go, including school.

Is it a hassle to lug that around with you when you go to school?

20. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

ah, the ol' job and get what i want case. more power to you then. i've known a few spoiled brats who are of the "i have rich parents and i always get what i want" school. its good to see people progressing in this world. ;)

21. DocSmitty macrumors regular

We're very proud of you. Don't worry, in 10 years you will look back and realize how immature you are now, even if you aren't immature for your age. Happens to all of us ;)

Anyway, @OP:

Send it to Apple. Tell them to fix anything they can find that needs fixing. Service companies love to hear that. Then just forward the bill on to said idiot and his parents.

22. taylor200588 macrumors regular

taylor200588

i would have WELL kicked him back

it may have cost you getting your laptop repaired

but would have made you feel awesome

:D

23. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

Lol!!

Very true though, you're never "really" mature anyways.

24. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

that kid's parents would be in the ER!

25. maclover92 macrumors newbie

Sucks! Maybe you should take them to court. Have em pay for the emotional heartache put upon you!:D;) haha. Atleast they are willing to pay for it!