Thanks Apple! Ipad Camera!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jmenning1, Apr 9, 2012.

1. jmenning1 macrumors newbie

I used the video recording button on the camera of the new Ipad, at the family Easter dinner. It was fun watching everone grab food, not to mention the great resolution on all the kids and grandkids. I am one happy owner!!

2. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

100% agree. The video camera is absolutely terrific. If the iPhone 4 was the last nail in the coffin for my HD tape camcorder, the new iPad buried it and put the tombstone up.

I have not only been taking some great pictures/video, but my kids and I have had a lot of fun making movie trailers in iMovie. You can use existing video clips, or you can create them on the fly right within iMovie. It's an absolute blast.

3. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Haven't/Won't be using the new iPad's video record feature at all. And I don't know how you can replace a stand-alone HD camcorder when the optical zoom is so limited and the usage in low light is almost impossible on the iPad/iPhone 4s.

I will agree that its a nice to have feature for quick snags. But going to the kids holiday programs at school, recording their soccer games, etc....no way would I even think about using an iPad as a replacement for an HD camcorder in those situations.

4. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

My iPad's (and my iPhone 4 for that matter) takes much better looking video than my old Canon DV Tape camcorder. I see no need to use it when I can just do those things on my iPhone or iPad, one of which I ALWAYS have handy. I have never felt the lack of optical zoom has caused me any problems.

In my first post, I said HD tape which is not what I meant to say. Also, I love that I don't have to play a tape into my computer via Firewire to get it transferred over to a digital format.

5. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Sorry, I missed the "tape" part. Yes, I'll agree that ANY digital footage is better than a tape.

But good luck trying to get Susie's piano recital with clear closeups from the 8th row back at her school program in a darkened gymnasium with acoustics like a tin-can underwater. For that, I'll stick to my digital camcorder with a fantastic optical zoom. Not to mention the number of parents who would start yelling at me for holding an iPad over my head to film her.

6. pat park macrumors 6502a

the battle between video quality vs. convenience/ease of use, methinks the iPad/iphone will win every time.

Most of the events I want to video tape, are not planned and being able to quickly reach for a device and hit record within seconds and have this level of quality with this kind of convenience - just plain rocks.

7. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

Convenience is definitely the operative word here. While mobile devices such as iPhones and iPads may not beat a standalone camera in quality one may not always have a standalone camera readily available but odds are one will have a mobile device handy at all times. And with the cameras in mobile devices getting better and better the difference in quality between them and standalones will soon become negligible.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

DV is digital (just not HD).

9. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

It's digital, but has all the drawbacks of tape. Never liked it.

10. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

The only thing missing now, is decent optical zoom.
    The scenario the OP outlined, is exactly the type, where I would actively choose the iPad over the iPhone.
    When out in the wilds, the iPhone is obviously more convenient.