Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yargk

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
for giving a bump in speed and hard drive size, as well as adding SD card readers among other improvements, but most of all for adding a shred of sanity to your pricing.

JDee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Ireland
for giving a bump in speed and hard drive size, as well as adding SD card readers among other improvements, but most of all for adding a shred of sanity to your pricing.

I think the price has actually went up on the UK HE store... not sure.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Thanks OP, no seriously

This is one of the first threads where someone is praising the new MBPs. I also like the new improvements, but it seems too many people are disappointed with the price drops.

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
but it seems too many people are disappointed with the price drops.

why do you think that happened. you think apple was just like aww ok we'll drop the price?! no. i guarantee you that it became cheaper for them to make. if it was talking out the extra graphics card, reducing the VRAM on the 2.66 model, and finally the dumbest move getting rid of the express card slot. so no we are not mad that the price dropped, we are mad because the computers got cheaper and they are trying to cover it up by giving useless upgrades like a 500GB hdd. it's cheaper to buy and install your own!!

yargk

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
Being disappointed with price drops is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. Someday all of us will have to upgrade so I sincerely hope that prices continue to drop. I remember when a 40 mb hard drive was $1000 and I'm only 26. I was also using a mac when that price was valid. No matter how much you like macs, the prices recently have gotten way out of line with the rest of the market (instead of only a slight premium) and this is a welcome "adjustment."

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
Being disappointed with price drops is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. Someday all of us will have to upgrade so I sincerely hope that prices continue to drop. I remember when a 40 mb hard drive was $1000 and I'm only 26. I was also using a mac when that price was valid. No matter how much you like macs, the prices recently have gotten way out of line with the rest of the market (instead of only a slight premium) and this is a welcome "adjustment."

again im not mad about the price dropping. im mad about what the price drop MEANS!! apple cut their costs somehow to allow for that price drop. to think that they are just being nice is silly.

imthekuni

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2009
Personally I am quite excite about all the changes. I still need to go to my local Apple store and just stare at the glossy screen on the 15" mbp and convince myself that it will work for me (hopefully so since I use it indoors most of the time and I also have my 20" external monitor). Coupled with the free iPod, student discount, and 300 smackaroos they chopped off the price, it couldn't be a better time to make a new purchase (except now I am slightly paranoid and am waiting for the media event with Steve Jobs before I go ahead and make my purchase)

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX

an SD card reader is not an improvement. It can do 1 thing, the express card slot can do lots of things (including an SD card reader).

JDee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Ireland
This is one of the first threads where someone is praising the new MBPs. I also like the new improvements, but it seems too many people are disappointed with the price drops.

I'll be happy and post a thread when I order it tomorrow :p

yargk

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
Sure, no new processor (32nm), no new graphics card, I wouldn't expect these things so soon. Apple knows it can keep selling the same computer for the same price without big upgrades. So they add a few improvements and drop the price. What would be nice is if they kept the lower price for the next models when it's actually time for new processors and graphics.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
again im not mad about the price dropping. im mad about what the price drop MEANS!! apple cut their costs somehow to allow for that price drop. to think that they are just being nice is silly.

it's also quite possible that they just wanted to cut their ridiculous profit margins in order to stay competitive in this recession. :eek:

A 500 Gb HDD is also not a useless upgrade, and to my knowledge they are including this capacity bump with the lower price--not a higher one. So I don't see how it can be cheaper for you to do it on your own.

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
it's also quite possible that they just wanted to cut their ridiculous profit margins in order to stay competitive in this recession. :eek:

A 500 Gb HDD is also not a useless upgrade, and to my knowledge they are including this capacity bump with the lower price--not a higher one. So I don't see how it can be cheaper for you to do it on your own.

apple has always sold a premium product. even them dropping the price a few hundred dollars it is still very high above the average pc cost. they would have to make a major cut fro me to believe that they are trying to appeal to a lower cost market. but let's just agree to disagree.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Being disappointed with price drops is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. Someday all of us will have to upgrade so I sincerely hope that prices continue to drop.

Price drops don't happen in a vacuum. No sane person would be disappointed if the previous line was reduced in price with no changes. That's obviously not the case.

Doubtful. It's not like the recession started yesterday- they could have dropped the price at any point within the last 2 years or so.

Shiner

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007

I don't really want to derail this post but the pricing is inline with the downgrades they gave the computers. Apple is the master of disguise. I was so excited they dropped the price of the macbook pro 15" to $1699 only to find what they really did was drop the graphics card and place a budget hard drive and memory in its place. The real macbook pro 15" is still $2000. Nothing changed except for macbook air prices but then again everyone knew those were way overpriced and not selling. I laugh that they added a firewire 800 port to the macbook 13" and now call it a pro!! What the hell does pro even mean anymore. Integrated graphics with firewire 800 port? Really, but no thanks.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
I am very happy with the updates, its great to see that they are making the MBP line even better.

The price drop was also nice, but I am kinda upset that they didnt add the the 9600 and the 9400 on the low end 15" MBP

jhsfosho

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Houston, TX
I am also happy with Apple's changes. It makes the laptop line a much better fit for me. The only thing I used the expresscard adaptor for was a sd reader anyway. Now the macbook pro 13'' has one built in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.