Thanks, AT&T! (Sarcasm.)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrat93, Jun 23, 2010.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I got my iPhone 4 today. Brought it to AT&T, they activated it. All seemed well. When I check my contacts, it showed "My number *my DAD'S number*." My new iPhone 4 was activated with my dad's number. I walked back into AT&T and they said it was because I used his upgrade. I told them that I called AT&T previously and they said everything would be alright.

They reactivated my phone with my number, but my dad will have no service until he comes home and I give him the SIM card they provided me. This isn't even the first time this happened either. I had problems with texting a few months ago and they made the same mistake. Now we have no way of getting in touch with my dad until he gets to his office later today... Great.

2. Mshilling macrumors regular

3. chromey macrumors member

4. Mshilling macrumors regular

so you screwed something up, and AT&T gave you an out instead of telling you to go take a walk, and you are bitching. You should thank them for not laughing at you and making you deal with it.

5. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

6. iPadztr macrumors 6502

sorry to hear that... but you should've known that even telling them in advance will not guarantee that they would swap the phone unless you tell them at the time of activation. You'd really think they would remember a week ago that you wanted to swap the phone to your number? Dude! you're dealing with At&t and not Jesus Christ. :D

7. LFSimon macrumors regular

LFSimon

Not offense, but it sounds like this is your fault.

From what you've posted it sounds like it was a natural for the phone to be activated using your Dad's number since that was the line that was upgraded and the only way this would not have happened is if you clearly explained the situation and what you wanted done, BEFORE, they activated it and not after.

if I was your Dad I'd be so aggravated (that wasn't my first choice in words) I'd take the phone away from you for a month - or just keep it for myself.

8. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

I don't see how this could be my fault. I walked in there, told them everything they needed to know. I told them that I used my dad's upgrade to buy it online, and I brought it in to be activated with my number. A few minutes pass, he gives the phone back, and it's activated with my dad's number. What should I have done differently?

9. ChocolateApple macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

Some store employees don't listen. They just do what's routine.

I believe that you told them exactly what you articulated here.

10. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

i guess att should not give you an upgrade swap next time.

11. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I must say, I've never been happier with AT&T. The phone arrived early by a day, the upgrade swap took just five minutes at the store, and I'm all set.

At the store I visit, they have a special line for upgrade swaps. When you enter the store they have a huge sign over the counter, no waiting, really courteous and fast.

12. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

I'm not saying AT&T is bad, I'm just saying they made a pretty bad mistake. It's not like they were rude to me. They apologized and did all they could. It's just unfortunate that my dad has to go all day with no service.

13. LFSimon macrumors regular

LFSimon

Did you look at the title of the thread?

Did your Dad have a hassle restoring all his contacts?

14. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

I don't see why that would be an issue. He just had no cell service all day. All of his data was still there.

15. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

Perhaps you shouldn't have tried to circumvent the system and just waited for YOUR upgrade...or paid full price. They did you a favor. Stop whining.