"Thanks for reserving your iPhone"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Motionblurrr, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

"Thanks for reserving your iPhone. You can come to the store you selected anytime on the day of your reservation. When you arrive, talk to a Concierge in an orange shirt. We'll help you complete your purchase, set up your phone, and get off to a great start."

So, I wanted to add a line on my account for an iPhone 3GS via Apple's website and all it asked me for was my Apple ID and password. Then I got a 'thank you!' page and then this E-Mail I just quoted. Then on the bottom part of the E-mail in tiny font it says "Pre-authorization does not guarantee iPhone availability at an Apple Retail Store. iPhone is sold on a first-come, first-served basis."

So what is the point of the e-mail saying I could come in at ANY time when it says it's first-come, first-served? :confused:

Does this mean there will be 2 lines at the Apple store? One for pre-orders and one for campers? I have a gut feeling "reserving" an iPhone like this was pretty much useless for me and I'd have to camp out anyways :(

*sigh*

2. Saikou macrumors 6502

Saikou

Yeah, I reserved one and I'm still going to camp out sometime thursday night. But that's just cuz I'm crazy.

3. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Maybe it means that they will save one for you but they add the "fine print" just in case something gets screwed up (e.g. their delivery doesn't arrive)?

Guess we'll find out what's going on soon.

4. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

haha well it's about the EXPERIENCE right?

5. Saikou macrumors 6502

Saikou

Exactly! I sorta get nostalgic every time I drive by my local Apple store just thinking about iDay 1 two years ago! Excited to relive it again later this week :cool:

6. Motionblurrr thread starter macrumors 6502

My confusion is that they aren't very clear on how this process will go down. I see a lot of people on these forums have pre-ordered their iPhone 3GS for SHIPPING but when I wanted to add a line specifically it asked for me to come into the Apple store on the 19th to do it.

I'm stumped because all the info it took from me was my Apple ID and that was that. :confused:

7. ryvetted macrumors member

lol! :)

8. Motionblurrr thread starter macrumors 6502

Hahah I did that for the iPhone 3G and I gotta admit it was fun. Especially when the crowds of people started pouring in it felt great to know a lot of people love technology as much as the next person :)

The only problem is I have to work that Friday at 12 so I don't know what I'm going to do :eek:

9. 1Zach1 macrumors 6502a

1Zach1

From Apple.com

That seems pretty clear to me:confused: Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

10. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Are serious :eek: ?!!!!! I mean did people camp outside stores, the night before the iphone? I though these things only happen in concerts and shops (which offer one in a year discount for expensive products).

11. mikey28 macrumors 6502

I said this in another thread but"

Reserving your iphone only makes check out go faster, since they will have all of your info already. If they run out of phones before you get there, OH WELL...

Will they actually HOLD one for you? NO, because you haven't paid for it, and APPLE is in the business of SELLING product.

The only way you can guarantee yourself a phone on June 19th is to BUY one.

12. Motionblurrr thread starter macrumors 6502

Well what I'm saying is it says it's 'reserved' but if say, I don't want to camp out for it and I swing by after work will I be able to pick up my 'reserved' iPhone? I'm assuming no because it says in the e-mail in small font "first-come, first-served" which kind of goes backwards of actually 'reserving' an iPhone.

Ya know?

13. nabechu macrumors 6502

My apple store said that there will be two lines, one for pre-orders and the other for everyone else. The pre-order line will start moving in 1hr before the store actual opens up. After the hour, they'll start letting people from both lines in one at a time. If they run out of phones by the time its your turn even if you pre-ordered, you're SOL.

14. Motionblurrr thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that makes more sense than that vague e-mail I got.

I guess I should get there early :(

15. dagomike macrumors 65816

So a reservation gets you into the first line? Do you think people will be making reservetions on their phones in line when they figure that out? Seems just a way to make things move faster than actually securing a phone.

16. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

17. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Can't see anything on the Apple website that refers to reservations in the U.K.

18. computermilk macrumors 6502

Camping out is the fun part you guys =)

I'm bringing my PSP and 2 batteries to play games all night.

19. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Last year they didn't have any of my information ahead of time and I honestly spent less than 3 minutes going through the whole process. This option is simply useless. Let's see, you get to register online and still receive no guarantees from Apple. Brilliant!

20. mctheriot macrumors regular

mctheriot

Confirming Email?

Hi,
    I did the online thing at Apple and got the message below on the final page - but no confirming email. Should I have gotten an email??

""Thanks for reserving your iPhone. You can come to the store you selected anytime on the day of your reservation. When you arrive, talk to a Concierge in an orange shirt. We'll help you complete your purchase, set up your phone, and get off to a great start.""

Thanks,
    Mark

21. ebika macrumors 6502

I'm going to add a new line for my husband, but I'm going to try the route of ordering the phone as a new line and switch it to a family plan after we get it. The sales associate at the AT&T store indicated this should work fine, with maybe $10 more in activation. Even if I end up paying $10 more (not sure if I will or not), having it shipping to our house seems a lot better than dealing with lines on Friday.

22. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

What sucks for me is that I won't be able to get to my apple store until 6PM or so. Of course the email I got says I can be there any time before closing time on the 19th, but I'm going to be calling to check on stock before I drive an hour up there to pick it up.