Thanks for the advice - MBP Ordered

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by badsmurf, Aug 1, 2011.

1. badsmurf macrumors newbie

First post here,

I will try to make it not TLDR. I have lurked for a long while now. Over the time I found everything I needed to make my decision and purchase my MBP without having to ask any questions. Everything you need is there if you sift for it; great work guys,.

The key for me was taking the alleged positives or negatives and applying them to me and how much they mattered to me. In the end I ordered a 15” MPP yesterday with the 128GB SSD and Hi Res AG., Some may debate the cleverness of the 128 when you can get a better drive but for £60 extra it was worth it to me. I do not have large files in use regularly and have a NAS and a desktop for those. Worst case I replace it later when prices drop a bit. I also ordered the 8GB Corsair upgrade kit direct. I want a reliable speedy machine and this should rip though what ever I throw at it.

I know most would have taken the drive and added the better SSD but it will be fast enough for me and also be fully covered, if I wanted I could pick up a 750 or bigger drive and put it in the super drive slot so I have options.

Right now I am rather excited, for a grown man this is silly but I am looking forward to the learning curve, I have reasonable industry skills and have worked in the industry for longer than I care to remember, I enjoy my job and this forum.

Whats the point of the post? Really I just wanted to say thanks for providing information, banter, humour and good information that helped me order the right machine for ME without and worries of “have I mad the wring decision”.

Cheers, I impatiently await it’s arrival on the 16 August.

2. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

Whoa, August 16th! I would go insane waiting :)

Anyways, I'm really happy that you're really happy with your choice!

3. randomrazr macrumors 65816

really august 16? it thought it shiped out in 1-3business days. fedex would take only a few days to get it to you.

i customed ordered mine too. very excited. 15inch with high res anti glare, however did not opt for the 128gb SSD. need more space and iil upgrade to SSD when they become cheaper...someday.

did u opt for the 2.0ghz or 2.2gh?

4. badsmurf thread starter macrumors newbie

I went for the 2.2, 16 days seems a lot but I am ever hopeful it is a conservative estimate to cover them.

/Edit it says ships in 1 to 3 days but delivery is estimated 16th August

5. 2hvy4grvty, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

That's a bit strange, are you in the US?

Because I have a buddy who lives in Alaska and the estimated delivery date was about 9-10 days after shipment.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, ACTUAL delivery after shipping took 3 days.

6. badsmurf thread starter macrumors newbie

No I am based in the UK, perhaps there is a bit of a backlog demand from people holding off from ordering to hopefully get LION pre installed and most of the capacity is devoted Airs and Mini's.

To be honest it doesn't make any real difference to me, a key and a box is not a huge backward step and I have SL discs if I really need them. It was just more waiting till the money was right> This is my first Mac, I work with UNIX, Linux, ZOS and other server grade variants. With OS X I wanted to start from a new OS environment GUI and not have to re-learn new ways of doing things

This way I will not know any different (hopefully) and get frustrated that it doesn't work; if all else fails there is still SL (assuming it will install) and Terminal or editing files if needs be. My needs for my personal workstation are not that complicated compared to work so I hops to enjoy the experience.

I really wanted a TC or Airport Extreme but being on ADSL in the UK with no cable or DSL in the area, I would need to retain an ADSL modem to connect to the TC/TC. It may come to this as i do like the features of this product, but is anyone aware of a more elegant single box solution that works with ADSL and TM or TC?

Any advice appreciated, searching the forum shows me that I need to keep the modem to use the Apple solution but is there an alternative non apple solution to this?

7. solowmodel macrumors 6502

8. badsmurf thread starter macrumors newbie

Quick update as often these stories seem to fall away with no confirmation as to what happened in the end when i was looking.

I ordered on the Sunday 31rst of July and got the formal invoice on Monday 1rst August. I then received the formal 6th (guessing for UK Duties declaration), therefore assumed they had or were about to arrive in the country,.

The estimated delivery was originally when I ordered on 31 July was 16th August and this model is a 2.2 with HR AG and 128 SSD so it was a CTO. This kind of gives you a rough guide to time fame for ordering but this may have just been lucky. In truth I had expected it to take longer as the supply chain may be chocked with New Airs and LION which launched at the same time.

According t UPS the machine has now made it's way from Tamworth to Preston in 2 hrs 27mins which if Google is right is a 110 (ish) mile journey (average 58MPH) which is not bad. This leaves 185 miles to the nearest or my two depots which are not far apart; then it is the last 46 miles to my home; probably through a winding route as it drops packages off. I will be last on the list as I stay down the coast, any further down the coast and it may come from Motherwell or worse case Carslisle.

If I stay up any longer I will be asleep by the time this thing arrives lol. I am going to bed now to get some sleep as I have to take car for service in morning and the wife is on parcel collection duties.

I am not so sure what would be better, an Audi R8 courtesy car for the day or my first Mac experience with a nice machine (I have driven nice cars before and the car experience is over too quick lol)

Both would be nice but I will no doubt get a crap A2 with no fuel or screen-wash and the MBP will turn up at 7pm.

Delivery is scheduled for delivery tomorrow and allegedly on time, some 5 working days early so those that get a long date on ordering do not despair. I would not fret too too much it if make its today (9th) or tomorrow or even the end of the week. As long as it get here safe. Looks lie it has cleared customs which is progress.

9. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I hate waiting for packages to arrive, especially something like a new Mac. But you will have it soon, have fun! :)

10. randomrazr macrumors 65816

how come u chose the 2.0ghz over the 2.2ghz?

11. badsmurf thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry if there is a typo in there somewhere, it was late.

I went for the 2.2 not the 2.0. I took some mixed media in with me when I went to view them and compared them side by side. There is next to no difference 99% of the times but greed took over and I thought I would go for the higher spec 2.2 unit, fools and their money are easily parted when Apple is concerned lol.

It reached my depot at 6:05 and was scanned out for delivery at 6:41 :cool:

12. randomrazr macrumors 65816

in terms of basic usage, theres no difference? i chose 2.0ghz, having a bit of buyers remorse over should have spent a few hundred more for th ehigh end lol

13. hooneyrob macrumors member

My MBP 15 is due to arrive tomorrow or the day after, was ordered late last week. Ordered the 128GB SSD and will use iCloud / external HD for storage and the SSD for OS, main apps..

I originally ordered a 13" Air but could not get on with the screen res and did not like the feel of the actual machine (odd, I know..)

I have the Speck satin case and the Zagg Invisible Shield, not sure if the Zagg will stop the Speck case from fitting flush.. They do mark easily underneath..

Rob.