Thanks Option

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by dukebound85, Oct 15, 2007.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I was looking at another forum (the modmyiphone forum) and noticed the members there had "thanks" and the # of thanks they had received.

I think this would be useful as some posts are alot more "quality" than others. thus if i were to see a member with alot of "thanks" i would take his advice much more so than someone that did not.

anyone else agree?

2. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

generally the best bet is to wait for a few replies and see what the consensus is. After all no one can be an expert in everything.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think you hit it on the head. Some of us are really good in some areas, and horrible in others. Not all of us are mad jews!:p

6. juxtaposer macrumors regular

Sounds like a good idea. Especially for newcomers (like myself). Would help a lot to know which users are giving the most useful information. :)

7. Queso macrumors G4

Good job too or Arn would need bigger servers :D

8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

One problem that springs to mind is that I might be an expert on X, having received loads of thanks points for my sage and helpful comments on that particular subject. However, I know nothing about Y so when I wade into a thread on that subject with an answer that's hopelessly wrong, my suggestion might be favoured over someone with a lower thanks rating but is offering the correct advice.

If that makes sense. :eek:

9. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

You had me until then... :p

10. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I visit another forum which has this feature, I really like it.

It can only be a positive thing. (unlike reputation features which can invite negativity)

Sometimes I don't have anything to say other than "thanks" and it passes that point along without me posting it.

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I think this idea makes sense. I can't imagine there're people out there so fragile as to worry about how many 'thanks' points they have compared with other members. Does vBulletin support this? :)

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've been on other vBulletin message boards with reputation systems.

It's fun for older users (ego stroking) but I'm wary of newer ones and the chance of abusing it.

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, this is subtly different to the reputation system, but I guess you're right. It could be used on the same mechanism. Personally, I can't see it being instigated though.

15. yagran macrumors 6502a

as good as it could be i think it might turn mac rumours into more of a popularity contest. which I don't really want as I'm not popular :rolleyes:

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Yes, there is a hack for it. ;)

17. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

A roundup, and looking ahead (to beyond the migration from vBulletin)

Bringing in some quotes from duplicate topics and elsewhere:

Too noisy; I nearly always refrain. https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201265337-Forum-Rules#nottodo point 2.

MBClub UK (see below) allows readers to both like and give thanks, I never noticed a shortage of likes in that forum.

Moved from migration-related http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20469521#post20469521:

----
    If the button is named 'like', I'll click reasonably often.

If the button is named 'thank you' or 'thanks', I'll click far more often.

With the current system: I often like the majority of a post, but I refrain from clicking 'like' because I don't want it to be misinterpreted as liking all points within that post. A 'thank you' will be more effective; it's an acknowledgement that you have taken the time to read and appreciate someone's contribution – without necessarily agreeing.

Two examples

At the UK Mercedez-Benz Owner's Forums site:
    • threads can be rated
    • a post can receive thanks
    • beneath each post there appears the names of people who are grateful, and the dates on which each person gave thanks.
    An extreme example: http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=92596

The member statistics page does not attempt to summarise thanks given or thanks received.

At the MBClub UK site:
    • threads are not rated
    • a post can receive thanks
    • a post can be liked
    • within each post there appears the names of people who like it
    • beneath each post there appears the names of people who are grateful, and the dates on which each person gave thanks
    • at the head of each page of a topic there appears the number of likes; a love heart menu … that might sound ugly but now I see the contents of that menu, it's surprisingly useful.
    Example: http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/170866-diesels.html

The member statistics page summarises thanks given and thanks received but does not attempt to summarise likes. The summaries are not published, I think that's proper. http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members/grahamperrin.html for example (I don't mind the public seeing my own stats):
    ----

In XenForo Community

"Thanks" AND "like" button? – I can't add to that topic … the Post Ratings product that's mentioned is apparently 'Not Available'.

Liking posts after the MacRumors Forums migration from vBulletin

A recent comment:

That's sensible.

18. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Since this thread was resurrected I'll throw in my pennies:

The two other tech forums I'm on a great deal are OCN and Linux Questions. They both use a rep system but seem to handle it differently, I'd rather see a rep than a thanks system.

19. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Seems to me a thanks system promotes mutual admiration societies. These abominations already come close to outnumbering cat pictures on the internet.

20. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

From the 'Be nice' part of the Stack Exchange model

assume good intentions

– then seeing someone else thanked need not feel like a bad intention towards you.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

22. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

True – thanks.

(The reason for me drawing to attention to that part of the Stack Exchange model might become clearer in a few days … something to be posted in a different topic.)