Thanks to all the whining, future iPhones will be plastic & cheap

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Motionblurrr, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

Everyone complained about the original iPhone being too thick, robust and too slippery because the back was aluminum

Everyone complained the iPhone 3G/S felt too cheap because the back was plastic and it could scratch easily, it wobbled on flat surfaces and and it was hard to "grip" because it had rounded off edges

So Apple made a glass & stainless steel sandwich iPhone which IMO is the most durable EVERYDAY phone than anything else. The glass IS scratch resistant but not scratch proof. The point of that is to prevent the glass panels to look like 2003 scratched plastic cell phone screens. I'm glad they banned screen protectors because they were a waste of money. Apple offered the bumper for those clumsy people and it didn't have a front and back because the glass is resilient against scratches.

Now everyone complains that it scratches (barely) the glass shatters if you drop it (OMG REALLY) and it's too thin/uncomfortable to hold because it's squared off. Not to mention the "antennagate" issue which was blown WAYYYY out if proportion. I remember noticing cell phones from like 2005 suffer from it when you gripped it around the base or where the antenna was.

Just use the damn phone and be careful not to drop it--the end.

Cool story right bros?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ha ha. Not really.

One of the reasons I like Apple is that Jobs is pretty impervious to whining.

Sometimes it annoys me when he's ignoring something I want, but 9 out of 10 times it's a good thing as he ignores stupid suggestions from other people. I'm happy with those odds. You should relax.

3. Motionblurrr thread starter macrumors 6502

Hahaha I wanted to just see reactions lol

But no really I don't want anymore plastic :(

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

They got rid of the aluminum body of the original because it was interfering with the signal. Apple has been trying to find the balance between attractive and signal strength. If they can figure out a way to mitigate the death grip without the need for a case (because you know the whiners won't stop about it), then this could work until the next major redesign.

5. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

I think the easiest way to mitigate the problem is separate the antennas a bit. I think the biggest complaint now is that touching the black seam on the left side is causing calls to drop or data to slow. I don't drop calls, but I can make data slow down doing it. If you make that black seam about 2cm wide, there won't be accidental bridging of the two antennas (or at least a lot less of it). Even Consumer Reports stated that was the big problem, and that duct tape over the spot would fix it.

6. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Actually this is a good thing. Since people complain about the aluminum getting scratched so easily, the plastic being so cheap, and the glass back also scratch a little and breaking on impact, that we might see a new material.

Liquid Metal backing on the new iPhone. Not easily scratched like the aluminum, doesn't feel cheap like the plastic, and won't crack like glass would.

I like the front and back being glass but it's scary at thinking what would happen to the glass if it fell on tiled, wood, or concrete floors.

I believe the backing shouldn't be glass. Glass should just be use for a screen. Glass on the back has no reason to be there. But it does look sexy.

So by the time we see another redesign for the Apple iPhone it could be an even thinner phone with a liquid metal backing.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

isn't that the definition of a troll?

8. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

9. RuggedPro macrumors regular

I still like the 1g in terms of comfort over the current evolution. Didn't care much for the 3g/3gs body but it was still nice.

4 certainly looks the best and is 2nd in comfort in my opinion.

Be interesting to see if the design of 5 changes.

I know this was a troll thread but figured I'd make a relevant comment.

10. kawasakirider macrumors regular

Mine has 2 TINY scratches on it that only I can see. I want to get rid of them to aid resale, but telhe design if the ip4 is sexy. The glass and aluminum is beautiful and I hope they continue this style.