That battery thing again

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UltraNEO*, Jun 30, 2009.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

How is this possible? What's going on?

Judging from coconut battery the health of my MBP's battery has dropped 7% in a single cycle!!! And not only that but the battery health has dropped 35% in less than a year!! So from that alone, this battery is gonna be dead come end of year at this rate.

Is there anything I can possibly do to try revive it? I have calibrated the battery on numerous occasions and it continues to fall... how disappointing. :mad::mad: I'm already on the second battery, for this MBP15.. first one kinda bloated up and started leaking.. Apple exchanged it and now this?? :mad:

[​IMG]

2. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

If you got it less than a year ago, they'll probably replace it if you complain.

3. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Huh? I didn't buy a replacement, i acquired it through Apple's battery program over a year ago!! They said these batteries are suppose to be good performers..

lol...

makes me laugh.

4. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

41 cycles and your battery health is down that much? I would complain. It seems like this is common on all of the new batteries. Mostly MBP batteries. It doesnt seem to be a problem with MacBooks though.

5. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I wouldn't call this a new battery, this machine is a 2.2Ghz MBP from 2007. If two years is still new, then fair enough. :)

6. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

I thought if it was under 300 cycles or something that they replace it.

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

My second 15" MBP battery has also just done this. It used to hover around 85%, but now it is around 75%.
    I had my first battery replaced around October-November of last year (the machine was bought in late February '08), but does that mean that the 1 year battery warranty is still good on the replacement battery, or does Apple only count the first year of the computer's life?
    I have around 260 cycles on my battery, so my battery still meets the "under 300 cycles" requirement.

8. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

Then you're probably out of luck, since the battery has to be less than a year old and under 300 cycles to be covered by Apple's warranty. It doesn't matter if it was a replacement or not. Still you can try to complain, maybe they'll replace it anyway.

9. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

+1 If you're nice they'll probably be nice back. Last time I had to return something they waived the restocking fee; I think she did this because I was being kind.

10. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

I just had my battery replaced this past friday at the apple store. I have a 2006 MBP Core Duo 2.0. The battery was telling me it was ~60% health (jumping anywhere from 49% to 68%). I took it to the store, the genius plugged in an iPod, rebooted from the iPod, and ran a diagnostic. It came up saying "bad battery" and he immediately replaced it. He then asked me if I left my laptop plugged in most of the time, to which I said yes.

I had ~180 cycles on that battery which was about 16 months old. Your battery has 41 cycles (which is why other posters thought it was new) and is how old? At least a year or so? Or was it replaced very soon after you bought it, in which case the battery would be close to 2 yrs old? Seems like your laptop NEVER leaves the cord. The genius said the best way to kill a battery is to leave it plugged in all the time. He said it needs to have some flow through the battery to keep it healthy.

If you're still under AppleCare, and the diagnostic says "bad battery" I bet the store will replace it. My applecare runs out in August, (which is why I went now) and he said he wouldn't be able to replace it next time. Take that as you will, but I'd recommend making an appointment and getting a replacement, and then letting the battery charge and discharge relatively frequently.

11. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

LOL... Yep.. Sound like the life of my MBP right there!!! I find myself using the 17" more even though it does weight half a ton! Then again, I do have three MB/MBP's and this is the one I usually travel with... So those 41 cycles are probably be caused from hotel jumping. :D:D

Nah.. For some odd reason, on this machne never bother with AppleCare. Instead I have 'old for new' insurence cover should the machine get broken in transit.

12. josueg942 macrumors member

How long have you had your 2nd battery?
    Do you have the AC Adapter plugged in every time you use your MBP?
    For 41 cycles it seems so....
    Apple does not recommend always having the AC adapter always plugged in to your MBP when it's charged.
    That's what happened with my first battery.
    I didn't know this and a year later the health was at 39% on 70 cycles.
    Now my second battery is at 97% on 138 cycles.
    I think mostly because I don't leave the AC Adapter plugged in.
    Well who knows, I tried maybe this helps like it helped me.
    Take care.

13. harcosparky macrumors 68020

From what I understand, Calibration does nothing to the battery. You are actually calibrating the circuit that measures the battery and put the information on the menu bar. You do this from time to time so that as battery life decreases you get an accurate representation of how much battery time is actually left.

14. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I agree with the people that said you are probably leaving the laptop plugged in too much. Li-Ion batteries like to be stored at 40-60% charged (in a cool, dry place, on an extra soft pillow:p). If you leave the computer plugged in all the time without discharging it, it is like storing the battery at 95-100% capacity, which will cause it to degrade. Calibrating will help since it puts a cycle on the battery, but it is really best to discharge the battery at least a little more frequently. Even if you only use it on battery for an hour a few times a week, you will (probably) greatly preserve the life of the battery since discharging /charging regenerates the chemicals in the battery. I say probably because you can still get a defective battery that loses capacity no matter what you do.

15. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Thats way too little cycles. Im surprised it not dead yet.

16. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well.. if memory serve me correctly, the first battery lasted less than six months and something like this happened.. only on both sides.

[​IMG]

Thanks for your advice.. Usually when I'm at home (in my own country). this machine is in storage with the battery around 65-70% full. The 41 cycles are probably from travelling about. Often when i reached my destination the MBP stays plugged in. lol

I know.. bad habit!

17. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

That should of happened to every MBP 17" already.

18. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

ATM... I'm on 15" :)
    That's not happened with my 17" yet..

[​IMG]

19. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Looks familiar

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=180263&d=1246410096

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=180264&d=1246410096

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=180265&d=1246410137

Except mine was fine UNTIL it went in to Applecare last week. Bottom case was replaced and I thought it was a tight fit so it was pushing up the battery :D

491 cycles, health 62%, battery replaced by Apple under the recall in March '07

eV

20. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Haha.. they must of de-bloated my cell and give it to you..:D:D
    Unlucky!!

21. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just curious, but why are you complaining about your battery life? 41 cycles in 2 years means you just unplug your laptop to calibrate it twice a month and otherwise leave it on AC.

22. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Not THAT unlucky ... My 2006 MBP17 has been replaced with a brand new unibody.

Guess I have you (and your battery) to thank! ;)

eV

23. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...those are some pretty bad battery pics... I've never seen anything like that on my winXP laptops = those batteries only lasted a couple hours anyway until I got my eeePC1000H...

24. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Cause recalibrating the battery doesn't take the capacity to anywhere close to 5600mA (possible), at present it's hovering around the 3700~4000mA mark or 66% of it's possible capacity. What's worst, every time I'm out with my machine, usually out shooting some where the battery dies on it's arse and by the time I get around to it, it's automatically recalibrating itself anyway, unfortunately when that happens the current battery capacity seems to drop!!

How are the batteries in the embeded Uni-body MacBookPro's? Are they any better?