That feeling when it's like not your own iPhone anymore

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ugi, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Ugi macrumors regular

see I received an exchange iPhone 7+ On Saturday and it's like not my iPhone I used to have. I don't like this feeling of having a refurb phone when my own phone was sealed&new when I got it three months ago.
    When I connected this refurb phone to my pc and synced it via iTunes and set it as a new phone, iTunes said "bernd's iPhone" and I thought its the preowners name.
    But as far as I know the refurb phones are getting made over with new chassis and logicboard with another s/n. Why should the phone still be named after the first owner?

2. infamousnxtAir macrumors newbie

This is very strange and it does not make any sense. Have you asked the reps at the store where you got the replacement one?

3. Ugi thread starter macrumors regular

No the store is far away from me. It's not like i can get there anytime I want to.

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

Sounds like someone made a mistake. If you got this replacement phone from the Genius Bar at an Apple Store, it came with a 90 day warranty. You can use Apple's online (or telephone) support to resolve this issue without having to physically go back to the store.

5. Ugi thread starter macrumors regular

Well I don't know. I restored my backup and now it has the name I set with my own iPhone. So it'll be hard to prove that the phone was named after some1 else.

Another issue I currently face is the new 2 factor authentication coz my trusted number is my old mobile phone number and I can't access that number anymore. That's why I can't to do anything with my phone except phoning and texting via SMS/ iMessage. No iCloud services etc. I'm waiting apple to change the trusted number to my current mobile number.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If there was a name associated to the phone, I'd take it back and ask to have it exchanged. Clearly that phone slipped through the cracks and Apple didn't fully process it.

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

OR Apple has had a change policy on refurbs where they can use the old circuit board. Nothing is stopping them and Apple does change it's policies every once in a while.

8. Ugi thread starter macrumors regular

I spoke to AppleCare and they said it might be a mistake but nothing to worry about. He said the phones history is fine. Don't know if I can believe him but I just don't want to drive to the store again and get another phone with the same issues

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Technically since the replaced phone was 3 months old it sounds like it still had at least 9 more months of warranty left on it, which means the replacement phone should have that much left too.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2017 ---
    Out of curiosity, why was the original phone replaced?

10. Ugi thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah of course the phone is still under warranty and I'm gonna expand the warranty period to 2 years via acpp later in this year.

The issue was and still is a high frequency noise (Soundwise) in video recordings in silent environment. Since the problem is not resolved and the genius wanted me to believe it is "normal" but still Exchanged it I called AppleCare and talked to a technical supervisor who said the problem is known but not solved yet and a research team is on the look for it. When it's get solved apple will decide what to do but untill then he said there is a chance by 50% that each exchange device will have the same issue. He himself stopped using his personal 7+ Because of this issue and got back to his 6s+. Im gonna wait and try later to get one exchange again

Here a short footage with that described issue

Here another in another room:

Same location same time with my iPad Air 2:

And one last

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

AppleCare can only be purchased within the first 60 days of buying the device.

12. Ugi thread starter macrumors regular

AppleCare Protection plan within the first year

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Where are you located. Because the vast majority of countries use AC+ now and not AC. And that must be purchased within 60 days.

14. noobinator macrumors 601

15. Ugi thread starter macrumors regular

Germany and the acpp are still sold in online Shops. I have the sealed box with billing here and can activate it as long as the first year of warranty is not over.

Had it also for my iPad Air 2 activated 1.5 years ago and back then acpp was also not official anymore. It helped me to exchange my iPad Air 2 on Saturday for free too and I still have 6 months of warranty left

Anyways that's not the problem in this thread.
    Do you guys notice the noice in my example videos ?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2017 ---

Dude AppleCare+ and AppleCare protection plan is not the same.

16. noobinator macrumors 601

Dude ok. I wasn't sure what you were talking about.

17. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Apple no longer allows AC to be added to iPhones. I bought an iPhone AC plan last year for my iPhone 6 and they said it cannot be done. They gave me credit towards the purchase of AC+ as an exception.