That new Mac smell....

kalms

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2014
How do Apple make it smell soo good? Do you think they make an effort to make it smell the way new Macs do or is it just a byproduct of manufacturing? I'm not one for going around smelling stuff often as I'm just not that weird but there is no mistaking a new Mac.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
How do Apple make it smell soo good? Do you think they make an effort to make it smell the way new Macs do or is it just a byproduct of manufacturing? I'm not one for going around smelling stuff often as I'm just not that weird but there is no mistaking a new Mac.
Not unlike the new car smell...it might be do to off gassing from various construction materials.

Probably not fatal...:eek:

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
They probably squirt pheromones on it in the back room. Something like "newborn baby smell"? Or maybe they have several and choose one to suit? Just to make sure you two bond.

That, or it's as shrink points out, it's just the styrofoam gassing off (which doesn't sound terribly endearing at all! :) )

kalms

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2014
Do the Mac Pro's smell differently? Good point, as it's made in the US?

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Love that new Mac box smell. All Apple boxes smell the same so must be the packaging materials. Either way, that smell tells you fun is ahead and your wallet is lighter :)

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Hopefully I'll be enjoying that new Mac smell on either the 9th or the 10th, if UPS keeps to schedule. They say delivery on the 9th, but since I live in a rural area, I have a feeling it will come a day late.

TheGeneralLee86

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2014
West Topsham, VT
Mine is still being processed because I chose the 21.5inches 3.1Ghz I7 vs. the 2.9Ghz I5 Intel processor and it says mine will be here the 15-17th or so! I can't wait! My brand new car smelled good too when I bought it last fall!:cool:

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
It's MSG. That smell.

Made in China. Of course.

kalms

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2014
It's far superior to any other new product, unless it's a new car. It would be interesting to know how scent impacts product development as I bet some materials smell like crap.