That old sound RAM used to make...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobsbarricades, Feb 18, 2010.

1. bobsbarricades macrumors regular

Why did my Macbook Pro start making it?

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

OK, firstly, you mean that sound that old computers would make like a grinding, whirring clacking?

Ah, so wonderful...I remember starting up my Packard Bell Legend cd100...the drive would slowly spin up like a jet engine and then, viiiir clack, ding viiir ding viiir clack clack ding *silence*....clack...clack ding...

Yeah if you mean that, it's your hard drive. RAM is solid state and therefore silent, if there is sound coming from your RAM...we haz a problem.

Anyway, my MacBook Pro hard drive makes a very slight sound like the old hard drives as well. It's like it's in a shoe box and the pitch is turned up, and when you pick up or move the notebook it "tink's".

If it's coming from the palmrest, you have nothing to worry about, it's just a noisy drive.

3. bobsbarricades thread starter macrumors regular

hahaha, I remember reading an article that RAM makes a sound when it's being filled, and it was a problem back in the day, but I haven't heard it in AGES.

I'm probably wrong though =)

Like how when I thought to myself... I should make a thread about this! I was concerned because my MbP never made this sound before... it was my external drive. It's made that sound for ages, but it's been ages since I used it =P

The only sound my MbP makes is that click. I hate that click, and I'm afraid when I hear it but I guess it's normal. My tablet makes the same sound.

Sorry for the wasted thread! But thanks for the laugh =)

4. Eleventeen macrumors newbie

My CD MBP (Early '06) makes the infamous whining (whistling?) background hum when it's on battery that goes away when you use the trackpad. I don't know if thats the same thing or not. I don't believe it's dependent on RAM usage, it does it even at idle.

5. Quicksilver867 macrumors regular

Capacitor whine? I know some caps will make a very high-frequency sound when stressed. Happens in the 8800GTX on my Windows desktop.

6. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

7. Eleventeen macrumors newbie

Like a hot amp? Yeah that's kind of what this sounds like.

Don't know about the OP's sound though.

8. bobsbarricades thread starter macrumors regular

that is DEFINITELY the sound that I was thinking of, but alas it was just my external HDD making a remarkably similar sound. Well...similar after 10 years of not hearing the original reference sound =P

9. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Anybody have video/audio of an old machine starting up?

The only sound I remember from my Packard Bell was the floppy drive grinding "virrrr rig virrr rig vir" the hard drive spinning to life "clack virrir *jet engine starting up*" and several chirps from the system...

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've owned a computer since before the Mac/IBM era and I can safely say I've never heard memory make sounds. Heck this is the first time I've ever seen someone ask about it.

I used to sell/fix computers, sell software and generally be involved in the computer industry for years, from the dekstop computer, to the mainframe and even Digital's computers when they were around. Never did I hear memory make any sound

11. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Guys, I just so happen to have obtained a DOS box ;)

So, the closest thing to a "fart" that I hear is the SPEAKER make a sort of buzzing sound in sync with a ticker that counts up the amount of system memory at startup.

Is this what we're talking about?

M4a file.