Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doug in albq

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Because it is sure is going to get much use.

iPad GUI should come up with a way to enter and exit apps by using the touch screen, and not have to hit that single mechanical button so often.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Well you'd use it less than the spacebar on a laptop wouldn't you? Your laptop would be almost as useless if the spacebar didn't work:( So I think the home button will be fine:D

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

In all fairness I had my home button fail on my first iPhone, which Apple replaced. But I think this more of an exception than the rule, I can't see there being any more issues with it than there are the iPhone.

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
Because is sure is going to get much use.

iPad GUI should come up with a way to enter and exit apps by using the touch screen, and not have to hit that single mechanical button so often.

You make a valid point. Mechanical portions of products that are mostly electronic, tend to be the weak link. As just one example, I have a very expensive stereo amplifier (made by Mark Levinson) and the only item to fail on it has been the power switch (a $130 switch!). The electronics have been humming along quite nicely since 1985. The switch gave up the ghost about 15 years ago...so "YES", I would be concerned about mechanical components.

I've had other devices that the only defects has been in the moving-parts components, rather than defects in electronics.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
You make a valid point. Mechanical portions of products that are mostly electronic, tend to be the weak link. As just one example, I have a very expensive stereo amplifier (made by Mark Levinson) and the only item to fail on it has been the power switch (a $130 switch!). The electronics have been humming along quite nicely since 1985. The switch gave up the ghost about 15 years ago...so "YES", I would be concerned about mechanical components.

I've had other devices that the only defects has been in the moving-parts components, rather than defects in electronics.

If the one button on the iPhone needs to be a concern, surely form the 75 million iPT and iPhone users their are numerous threads about button failures and repairs yes?

If someone still own's their iPad in 15 years and the button finally gives out. It will be a story like a car that went 1 million miles with no issues. They will write a story about it and people will be WOW that's an awesome piece of hardware.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Wouldn't it make more sense to say the touch screen better be built well? That's what people are going to be rubbing their dirty paws on 99% of the time.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
The only problem I have with the idea of some kind of global gesture, or swipe, or anything else to return to the home screen is the potential to accidentally activate it during a game.

Jay Marcase

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2010
Wouldn't it make more sense to say the touch screen better be built well? That's what people are going to be rubbing their dirty paws on 99% of the time.

Well if the home button stops working you're not going to be able to exit any of the apps which is why this is a valid concern.

doug in albq

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Relax. I've had the 2G iPhone for over 2.5 years and my home button still works no problem.

my wife and I both have an iPod Touch—about a year each.

She uses her iPod Touch more than I use mine.

Her Home Button has much less resistance than mine, like the clicking mechanism is weakening from use.

I'd call this a valid issue, as pointed out above, that home button is quite necessary for any sort of use on the device—unless Apple adds an additional way to enter and exit apps with the touchscreen.

johnmoorejohn

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2010
My mom's iPhone button felt weird to me. It was sort of mushy, didn't quite click. Until she cracked her screen and got a new iPhone.

Also, if you try out old classic white macbooks, there are all levels of weirdness with the mouse buttons. The OP has a valid concern.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
My only concern is that ATT service actually works worth a crap with it.
Button fails for whatever reason Apple will fix it.
3g connection dropping every 15 minutes , call ATT and complain and they won't fix anything.. its your fault. Your expectations of working service was too high, even tho 12 months of ATT's ipad plan is damn near the same price of the device itself.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
My mom's iPhone button felt weird to me. It was sort of mushy, didn't quite click. Until she cracked her screen and got a new iPhone.

mushy is one thing, actually working is another. i've felt plenty of home buttons that didn't quite click as well as others, but they've all worked perfectly fine.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Well if the home button stops working you're not going to be able to exit any of the apps which is why this is a valid concern.

And if the touch screen stops working its any better?

Also, my friend's home button broke a little while ago on his iPhone 2G after 2 years of usage. Until apple replaced it, he just powered off his phone and turned it back on to quit apps.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
How is it any different than fhe iPhone?

The way you use it will be different. With the iPhone, you can hit the button with your thumb while you are holding it with the same hand. With the iPad, hitting this button will not be so easy. While I'm sure the quality will be fine, it is a valid point about not having a gesture to close apps.

doug in albq

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Bump for iOS 4.3 and new gestures for using the "home" button less...told ya!:)

Last edited:

7thMac

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2010
Yep, according to various blogs, a five finger gesture will switch between apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.