That time again.. critique my redesign!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by adamfishercox, Jul 20, 2009.

1. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

2. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Looks nice! One fatal flaw though; the width of the browser does not fit properly. I have to move left to right. I would try to fix this as does not look professional. Viewing in a 1024x768 (Most common size your site will be viewed on).:)

3. adamfishercox thread starter macrumors 6502

I've gone back and forth on that as 1024x768 is a very small percentage of my visitors but I agree it is a wide design. May scale it all down.

4. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Could you not set it as a 'fixed' position in CSS, that way you'd be safe with any size of screen?

5. adamfishercox thread starter macrumors 6502

I have to define a width otherwise it would just spill onto other lines and look crappy at small sizes... I'd rather a horizontal scroll.

6. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

my 2¢...

The embossed font technique is very nicely done, but IMO, it's a little over the top for the body text.

Also the there are too many different font variations/colors on the page.
    Pick one for the headers, one for the body and one for the navigation.
    I also felt that the fonts were too large in general.

Overall, the sidenav seems to stray from the character of the other elements.
    It's too simple, and generally speaking, stylistically weaker than the rest of the site design.
    The tree-style indented text is not working visually.
    I would use a dark neutral gray or black for the sidenav container, and reduce the scale by 20% or so to tie it in with the rest of the shell.

The topnav looks pseudo-web2.0-ish; I expected more advanced interactive effects, such as the little triangle following the mouse position, glow effects similar to the top of the page content area, etc...
    I would use a more staid font, such as Helvetica, for the large topnav links.

The background pattern for the main content area is nice, and I really like the "window" effect for the images.

Set up an email address for yourself from your domain; gmail looks distinctly unprofessional.
    ie: adam@adamfishercox.com

GL

7. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

You can specify a minimum and a maximum to the resize thus reducing resolution/ clarity issues.

8. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

Making the images clickable and link to the desired page would make navigating a bit easier. Took me a bit to find out how to get to the Simpletask or any of the other pages. The little arrow is too small/hard to find.

Making the item/product name a link would help too.

Great design and look otherwise.