That was a dumb thing to do!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by TheJazzy1, May 27, 2011.

1. TheJazzy1 macrumors newbie

Ok here's the problem. I was trying to install a driver for an SATA controller card. In the process I inadvertently installed the RAID version of the drivers. Now when I boot into Windows the Jmicron RAID driver looks for drives. The bad thing is that it takes a full 2 minutes to time out.

Does anyone have an answer for this problem?

I'll sing at your next wedding if you can help me fix this.

Thanks

2. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Later versions of Windows can roll back drivers - so once booted, go to Device Manager, find the device for which you installed drivers, right click properties and then you should find a Roll back option there in some tab. (Not near a Windows machine right now to say exactly where but should be easy to find.)

No need to sing - I am done with the weddings - one is good enough for me ;)

3. TheJazzy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

If Roll Back is greyed out, you can also uninstall them (as long as your not running a system disk off of the controller card).

Make sure to click "Delete the driver software for this device." on the uninstall box, or Windows will reinstall them on the next reboot.

Third option is to just click the up Update Driver box, and load a different set of drivers.

5. TheJazzy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Still no joy in Jazzland. I got disgusted and repartitioned and reformatted the drive I had Windows on. When I started to install windows, and booted from the install dvd, I still got the 2 minutes in the penalty box. I have trashed everything that I can find with Jmicron in the name. I'm now guessing that it might be hiding in the efi partition. But I don't know how to either confirm this or edit it. Getting really frustrated.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks again

6. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

It might be the BIOS doing this - when exactly do you see that 2 min delay? After or before the Starting Windows boot screen?

7. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

If the RAID controller already marked the drives as part of an array, I believe you have to "remove" each drive from the array before you can reformat it and reuse it normally. It has been awhile since I had to do that ... but I vividly remember the frustration I encountered. :eek:

I think the first time I went so far as to remove the drive from the computer and hook it up to another computer where I repartitioned the drive and reformatted it before returning it to the original computer.

8. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

TheJazzy1, I'm confused. Which Jmicron Chip/Card do you have? What exactly are you trying to do?

If its really the card causing the delay, you should be able to right click it in device manager and hit Disable. If it was, your boot times will return to normal. Try that. (DO NOT DO THIS IF YOUR SYSTEM DISK IS CONNECTED TO IT)

Jmicron from my experience is normally are budget controllers. Most motherboards integrated controllers are faster/lower latency.

There is nothing on the EFI partition, don't worry about that (seriously, don't mess with that or the OS X partition).

Also if your deleting the Windows Partition use the Boot Camp Assistant. Don't delete it from inside Windows/Windows Setup (there are reasons for this, if you really want to know search Google for "Hybrid MBR").

9. TheJazzy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

The card is an SATA controller. There are RAID and non-RAD drivers for the card. I have never had a RAID on my computer. What I did was, in Windows I installed the RAID driver instead of the non RAID one. Since then whenever I boot into Windows there is a screen that comes up saying that it is searching for drives. This takes 2 minutes to time out. Yesterday I unistalled the RAID driver and installed the correct driver which has my blu-ray burner connected to it. But I still get to see my life pass by for the 2 minutes it takes the Jmicron RAID screen to time out.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks again

10. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

:p You still didn't post which Jmicron card you had.

Can you post a picture of the box that pop's up during the 2min wait, it would be really helpful.

11. TheJazzy1, May 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2011

TheJazzy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's the first thing I see when I boot into windows. Whether from my Boot camp partition or an install dvd.

[​IMG]

12. Quad5Ny, May 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Is that where your waiting 2 minutes? Because that has nothing to do with drivers or Windows, that's cards Option ROM running through drive detection. I bet if you disconnect the Blu-Ray SATA cable from the card, the 2min delay will drop down to a few seconds.

Like I said though Jmicron are not the best controller cards. It's most likely hanging up because its waiting for a Hard Drive to identify itself (because you only have a optical drive connected).

The reason you don't see this when booting OS X is because it uses EFI, and BIOS Option ROM's don't load on EFI (this is the same reason you need special video cards for Mac's).

There is a updated Option ROM (v1.07) for JMB363/366 based cards and that might fix the long delay. But you still haven't told me what card you have, it should be printed on the card or box somewhere.

ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/SATA_Controller/Option_ROM/
    ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/SATA_Controller/Windows/

13. TheJazzy1, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011

TheJazzy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes this is where I it takes 2 minutes to time out. The silk screening on the card reads on one side 3623 RoHS. And on the other Startech.com Part #PEXESATA21. And this is the driver I have installed JMB36X_WinDrv_R1.17.62_WHQL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again

14. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Awesome, I can actually look up the card on Google now. :p

I'll post back tomorrow. I'm not going to be on tonight.

15. TheJazzy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

16. Quad5Ny, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Hi TheJazzy1, I can't seem to find a manual for the JMB366 (the chip on your card).

You have have 2 things you can try.

1. On the black JMicron screen, the second it pops up, try pressing Ctrl+J. Hopefully this will give you a options menu.
    2. Update the Option ROM on the card.
      For this you'll need
    I'll be honest with you here, I have no idea if Mac's can boot DOS or even if its safe to update the Option ROM using a Mac.

(Work in progress, I'll edit this in a little while)

17. TheJazzy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

The ctl J thing didn't work. I'm looking at Jmicron's site to find a new rom I can flash.

Thanks for all your help.