Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitizer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Recent lurker here. . .

Back when I was Christmas shopping, I accidently looked at the nice shiney iMacs on display @ BB. :)eek:that's the mistake part)

I think I need one. (well, want one, anyway;))

Here's some background . . . I do mostly Photoshop. I am on my computer usually 8 days a week and put in alot of PS hours. I do freelance work and some photography on the side. My most recent dSLR also shoots HD video, which I need to learn how to play with, as far as editing. I don't do gaming but need speed when I am doing certain filters in PS. I do the usual email and internet research & shopping, etc.

I am on a Dell XPS, Quad @ 2.40GHz, 6 GB ram, 1GB video, 1 TB HD x2 plus about 6 external drives sitting around! I also use a Wacom tablet. And a 24" monitor. My backup computer is an Alienware Area 51 3.2GHz, my hubby plays games on it now. I seem to be hard on my machines. The Dell is about 3 yrs old? (the original Dell died after running 2 hours, Dell was great about replacing it) The HD failed about 6 mo. ago and the graphics card about 3 mos ago. About a month after the Alienware's graphics card had died. And the normal glitches. And I understand Macs can have failures too, so that's not an issue. The issue for me seems to be Windows, I think.

I was always told to get a Mac to do graphics but years ago I had to share the computer with the family and some things just had to be done in Windows. Now I am free to get what I want/need.

So here's what I am thinking. . . my Dell is working OK but there are times IE or the anitvirus or some Windows based program has an issue and I waste more time dealing with that when I could be working. I wonder how much different getting an iMac would be for me? I know nothing about the Mac world. I understand I could run Windows on a Mac but I thinking maybe not for now since I have 2 PCs sitting here.

I also would like to archive some projects onto BluRay. Since I don't see that as an option (on an iMac) I might get an external burner that will work on the PC and MAYBE the Mac?

Sorry for the novel. So. I am looking at a 27" 3.1 or 3.4, 4 GB ram, 2 GB Vram. Will I see a big difference from my Quad 2.4?

Aside from my rambling, any advice? Suggestions? Am I thinking this out correctly? I don't want to spend $2300 and have that "oh I should've" or "I forgot about" moment. Trying to think ahead about software changes, etc. I know the Wacom and HP printer are Mac compatible. Thanks!

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
You'll certainly see a boost from the faster CPU. Assuming a quad-core i5, for CPU intensive tasks you may see a 60% jump. But is that what matters?

My recommendation is always to think critically about what the problems are in your workflow. What's causing you delays, losing you time, and introducing risk? If you can't answer those questions instantly, you need to think about it more. I'd suggest going through your workflow and thinking about everything that drives you nuts, and figure out what would make you more productive. If a new computer or switching to OS X is a part of a solution, then at least you're down the right path.

-----

Also regarding compatibility, do you plan on using Boot Camp to boot straight into Windows to run Photoshop, or are you planning to pick up a new Photoshop CS# license for OS X (I don't believe Adobe sells dual-environment licenses)? Using Photoshop and Illustrator for game development, I know that's not a trivial expense.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
You'll certainly see a boost from the faster CPU. Assuming a quad-core i5, for CPU intensive tasks you may see a 60% jump. But is that what matters?

My recommendation is always to think critically about what the problems are in your workflow. What's causing you delays, losing you time, and introducing risk? If you can't answer those questions instantly, you need to think about it more. I'd suggest going through your workflow and thinking about everything that drives you nuts, and figure out what would make you more productive. If a new computer or switching to OS X is a part of a solution, then at least you're down the right path.

-----

Also regarding compatibility, do you plan on using Boot Camp to boot straight into Windows to run Photoshop, or are you planning to pick up a new Photoshop CS# license for OS X (I don't believe Adobe sells dual-environment licenses)? Using Photoshop and Illustrator for game development, I know that's not a trivial expense.

With the dual environments, I think you can change platforms for about $20 if I remember right. You can't run both like that, but you aren't forced to buy a new license to switch platforms.

digitizer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Thanks, right now McAfee is bugging me to do a restart for their update. And the last couple times I did any restart, I had to do a system restore because something just isn't loading and I haven't figured it out. And I know it's probably something stupid-simple. Might be a Windows update issue, too.

I need to call Adobe, but I think I can switch from Windows to Mac. But, if not, I might just get the academic version and call it a day. Otherwise I'm afraid I'd lose the one on my Windows and would be without a backup.

I don't do game development but alot of retouching and cutting out of things and putting them on a different setting/background. All self taught.

Is there a big difference for me between the 3.1 and 3.4? Both are an improvement.

digitizer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2011
With the dual environments, I think you can change platforms for about $20 if I remember right. You can't run both like that, but you aren't forced to buy a new license to switch platforms.

Ahhh, good to know. Thx

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
Is there a big difference for me between the 3.1 and 3.4? Both are an improvement.

The 3.1GHz is an i5. This has four physical cores and 6M of shared L3 cache.

The 3.4GHz is an i7. This has four physical cores, 8 virtual cores (hyperthreading), and 8M of shared L3 cache.

Hyperthreading's main benefit is it allows for reduced overhead by eliminating the need for as many operating system context switches. If you're just beating the tar out of the CPU (100% utilization) on a long rendering job the benefit is anywhere from very minor to a negative*.

10-20% improvement over the 3.1 for most real-world applications.

-----

You may want to look into your AV software. Perhaps uninstalling it and reinstalling it? Switching to another suite? It's cheaper than a new computer, and that seems like the real problem, not so much the hardware.

*In the database world, HT off for OLAP, on for OLTP.

digitizer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2011
" *In the database world, HT off for OLAP, on for OLTP." What does this mean? Sorry, not familiar with OLAP, OLTP.

Also, finally did uninstall my anti-virus which did allow me to restart without having to go into safe-mode and do a system restore. At one point my screen told me my Windows is not genuine! Excuse me?? Then after my restart it wanted to check my memory, thinking there was a problem there. Turned out OK. Always something. Do you Mac users run into this kind of thing often? Things like this is what irritates me.

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
" *In the database world, HT off for OLAP, on for OLTP." What does this mean? Sorry, not familiar with OLAP, OLTP.

Also, finally did uninstall my anti-virus which did allow me to restart without having to go into safe-mode and do a system restore. At one point my screen told me my Windows is not genuine! Excuse me?? Then after my restart it wanted to check my memory, thinking there was a problem there. Turned out OK. Always something. Do you Mac users run into this kind of thing often? Things like this is what irritates me.

No, don't run into those kinds of things.

Granted, didn't run into them either on Windows. Have you considered just using Microsoft's "Windows Defender" software suite for anti-virus/anti-malware/anti-spyware? It actually works tremendously well:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx

I used to do system/network administration before I mostly turned to database consulting. A fair number of anti-virus suites caused as many problems as they solved. It took effort to evaluate suites before I deployed them to ensure they wouldn't cause issues to users.

I'd consider switching to Windows Defender. It uses virtually no system resources, it gets definition updates automatically and through Windows Update, and is as minimally annoying as possible... while costing $0. Very hard to argue.

digitizer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Yeah, after my HD failed, the guy who installed the new one put in a free AV and seemed to work OK. Then I got an automatic renewal notice so I thought I better not waste my money and install it. Maybe I can get my money back for part of it? I know it's a resource drain on my computer as well. All this AV crap is another reason to go to the Mac side, huh!

I will check out the Windows Defender. Thanks for the advice! Now that I work for myself, I don't get to interact with others and keep up with the computer world. And I didn't expect PC help on a Mac forum! lol

But I still am considering a 27" iMac! :D

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
Back when I was Christmas shopping, I accidently looked at the nice shiney iMacs on display @ BB. :)eek:that's the mistake part)

Love the title of your post. Reminds me of how I convinced my wife that I needed an iPad by taking her to the Apple Store to play with one. We ended up walking out with TWO!

johnfkitchen

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2010
Welcome to the fold! You will enjoy having your computer work for you rather than the other way around.

"McAfee" is another mistake. It's a resource hog, they have a tendency to change the scope of function in security products with no warning or advice, and I have seen their software brick hundreds of computers all at the same time. For me it's strike three and they are out. Permanently.

digitizer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Heres what I would get:

Apple iMac 27" 3.1GHz Core i5 Quad Core 4GB, 1TB = $1865 AR, free shipping and no tax to many states.

http://www.macconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=12811708&cac=Result

and add this, $101:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/1333DDR3S08S/

That will equal an iMac that will do everything you want to do for the next several years, no problem.

Several years! I like that!
Badger, we're almost neighbors, I'm just south of you! I wonder if I should run up to Arden, they have an Apple store, right? Just to look. I would rather buy online ;), maybe try that bill me later thing? Split up the cost over a couple months.

Is the 2GB graphics worth getting? (Or is that only with the i7?)

digitizer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Welcome to the fold! You will enjoy having your computer work for you rather than the other way around.

"McAfee" is another mistake. It's a resource hog, they have a tendency to change the scope of function in security products with no warning or advice, and I have seen their software brick hundreds of computers all at the same time. For me it's strike three and they are out. Permanently.

Yep! They be the ones! I had an issue about a year ago where the program was telling me to reinstall itself, didn't make any sense. And at that time I swore them off. You'd think I'd learn! LOL

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
Heres what I would get:

Apple iMac 27" 3.1GHz Core i5 Quad Core 4GB, 1TB = $1865 AR, free shipping and no tax to many states.

http://www.macconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=12811708&cac=Result

and add this, $101:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/1333DDR3S08S/

That will equal an iMac that will do everything you want to do for the next several years, no problem.

The 8GB memory upgrade at the macconnection site you posted is only $89, and they install it for you. Why purchase the OWC memory for $101?

digitizer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Love the title of your post. Reminds me of how I convinced my wife that I needed an iPad by taking her to the Apple Store to play with one. We ended up walking out with TWO!

Well, I'm afraid if I get an iMac, my hubby will want one. But he's getting my "old" Dell and it'll be my backup. I won't tell him he can use his PC games on a Mac! :D And does the iMac have Solitaire? He plays that alot, too. . . doesn't matter, I won't be sharing. IF/when I bite the bullet.

Meever

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
I thought the iMac had 4 ram slots. Adding 4gb to existing 4gb would be a lot cheaper....

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
Several years! I like that!
Badger, we're almost neighbors, I'm just south of you! I wonder if I should run up to Arden, they have an Apple store, right? Just to look. I would rather buy online ;), maybe try that bill me later thing? Split up the cost over a couple months.

Is the 2GB graphics worth getting? (Or is that only with the i7?)

Dont come to the Arden store, unless you are packin heat.

And of course, you will need to pay the 9% sales tax.

Thats $1865 AR total -- nothing extra.

Depending on what RAM macconnection installs -- it better have a lifetime warranty -- sure, then have them do it. If you decide agaist it -- installing ram in an iMac takes 2 minutes, a 5 year old could do it.

digitizer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Dont come to the Arden store, unless you are packin heat.

And of course, you will need to pay the 9% sales tax.

I will leave my wallet at home!! LOL! Somehow they may still "git" me . . . yeah, better stay home. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.