Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
For those who may stumble across this thread in the future..

To put some of the false information to rest:

Just about everything can be uninstalled from Windows if you either know what you are doing, ask someone who knows, or spend 30 seconds on Google..

To remove an app or programs that in some instances may look like it can't be:

1. Open elevated powershell
2. Type this for programs ---> wmic product get name

this will give you a list of programs on the PC so you can get it's exact name​
3. Type this ----> wmicproduct where name="insert_program_name_here” call uninstall /nointeractive
4. Type this for apps ---> Get-AppxPackage *insert_app_name_here* | Remove-AppxPackage

DONE!

To everyone who follows this method .. as I have ..

You'll find within about two weeks they begin to reinstall and if not, in the next Windows 10 update they'll sure come back...

There's another method too of finding the folders deep in the system and deleting or renaming them but again.. Windows repairs itself via updates. A game of cat and mouse.

Reactions: JMacHack

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
More FALSE information.... If you do not know what you are doing then please just stop giving bad advice and blaming the system for user error and unfamiliarity...

Meh, I give up...

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
More FALSE information.... If you do not know what you are doing then please just stop giving bad advice and blaming the system for user error and unfamiliarity...

Meh, I give up...

Hang on a minute, you're claiming what I'm saying is false?

Try it. Honestly.

PowerShell removes the apps presence from Start / the interface. Files are still in the system. Even if you remove it for all users.

Again, no matter how you remove it Windows will restore its default apps in updates.. which is logical because it thinks there's missing files..

They re-appear in the start menu sooner or later.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Like I said if you do not know what you are doing then maybe you should NOT be giving ut terrible advise about OS's...

I am NOT interested in giving you instructions any longer as your inexperience and lack of knowledge caused many of the problems you rail on..

Lets start:

1. Your inexperience cause you to 'nuke' Windows and install Linux = Bad choice
2. You railed on taking hours to reinstall Windows after you did #1 above
3. Had you not done # 1 and knew what you were doing, it would have been a 5 minute fix.
4. Instead of blaming yourself, you bash the OS, which by the way did exactly what you told it to do..

I can go on and on as this thread is loaded to the hilt with the same, over and over again.. User inexperience caused 99% of your issues..

Enjoy your iPad and rock on.. It's what you are familiar with and what you want..

Last edited:

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
Like I said if you do not know what you are doing then maybe you should NOT be giving ut terrible advise about OS's...

I am NOT interested in giving you instructions any longer as your inexperience and lack of knowledge caused many of the problems you rail on..

Lets start:

1. Your inexperience cause you to 'nuke' Windows and install Linux = Bad choice
2. You railed on taking hours to reinstall Windows after you did #1 above
3. Had you not done # 1 and knew what you were doing, it would have been a 5 minute fix.
4. Instead of blaming yourself, you bash the OS, which by the way did exactly what you told it to do..

I can go on and on as this thread is loaded to the hilt with the same, over and over again.. User inexperience caused 99% of your issues..

I would explain how your above post is once again completely false but I've had enough of this nonsense... So bash on and I'll just giggle from here on out instead of responding...

Wtf? I know exactly how to follow the suggested removal method (and more) you mentioned! I am successfully following it and ridding the system of the apps but again they come back. Try and actually disprove that instead of telling me it's wrong, because I am actually responding and saying 'Look, tried it. Doesn't work fully'.. Get technical if you need to? I will assume that it's actually you who doesn't understand my response if you continue to ignore this.

It was my preference to NOT have Windows installed alongside Linux, I'm well aware of how to manage the partitions if I wanted too. I also took that opportunity to fit the SSHD too.. Don't forget, I was installing Linux to actually not have to use Windows! And it wasn't inexperience, again, I had Windows back on an hour later.. Had I actually intended to keep both, but then nuke it.. I would have screwed up. But I intended to wipe Windows!

Inexperience? Bad experience perhaps. But everything I aimed to do I did. It's the experience delivered by Windows 10 that personally, I dislike. Others are more than happy with it. I'm not. And undeniable is the fact that others on here will find my experience is the same as theirs and others will stick with your opinion that it's great. I'm just stating my experience coming from the Mac where - in my opinion - things were 100% better.

Sure I'm no Windows expert, but I'm more than capable of following YouTube videos, blog posts and other things involving PowerShell, Command Prompt and even the Group Policy Editor when it comes to disabling features. The last of which was the only functional way to keep things from tainting Windows!

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsStore
AutoDownload 2

XRNj5.gif

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
Ah brilliant! Decided to get the ThinkPad out and prove that raqball (and the articles with his method) don't do the job..

Just in the past 30 minutes I removed all the W10 apps and look.. see the 'NEW' sign? They're only bloody reinstalling themselves. of course, I'll remove them again. But don't pretend what I'm saying is false.. In this case 'News' and that bloatware Smart Audio Conextant thing..
[doublepost=1497466062][/doublepost]
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsStore
AutoDownload 2

There doesn't appear to be a Windows Store line there.. unless I should create one. But even then, I'm wondering.. Is AutoDownload for app updates or the actual mechanism I'm referring to which is 'repairing' my removal efforts..

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    64.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 1.png
    1.png
    397.1 KB · Views: 144

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Ah brilliant! Decided to get the ThinkPad out and prove that raqball (and the articles with his method) don't do the job..

But don't pretend what I'm saying is false.. In this case 'News' and that bloatware Smart Audio Conextant thing..

There doesn't appear to be a Windows Store line there.. unless I should create one. But even then, I'm wondering.. Is AutoDownload for app updates or the actual mechanism I'm referring to which is 'repairing' my removal efforts..

If you do not know what you are doing then maybe you should NOT be slamming the OS and others who do?

Just a thought... LOL

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
If you do not know what you are doing then maybe you should NOT be slamming the OS and others who do?

Just a thought... LOL

Yeah hang on a minute.. if you knew what you were doing then you'd probably have mentioned to add that key...

I never claimed to be an expert, but again.. Nobody can guess this stuff unless they're told.

I'm more than capable of following instruction, but are you competent in providing it?

I appreciate the help, but before laughing just remember you left that bit out..

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Yeah hang on a minute.. if you knew what you were doing then you'd probably have mentioned to add that key...

I never claimed to be an expert, but again.. Nobody can guess this stuff unless they're told.

I'm more than capable of following instruction, but are you competent in providing it?

I appreciate the help, but before laughing just remember you left that bit out..

Why would I mention it when it was clearly a setup.... I fully expected and knew that you would not know what to do with the info I posted.. In essence, your reply has proven my point...

You do not want to learn and you do not want any assistance.. All you want to do is bash the OS and that's fine, just be honest about your intentions in the future..

FWIW, I have a degree in computer science so maybe you are right and I know nothing...

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
Why would I mention it when it was clearly a setup.... I fully expected and knew that you would not know what to do with the info I posted.. In essence, your reply has proven my point...

You do not want to lean, you do not want any assistance all you want to do is bash the OS and that's fine, just be honest about your intentions in the future..

FWIW, I have a degree in computer science so maybe you are right and I know nothing...

Generally I try to help people on here where I can. If you want to give help I'm sure people would find that more useful than 'setups'.

And the bottom line of my original point again... The fact the general user has to go through this hassle to have a clean, simple experience in Windows 10 is a joke.

And for the record, your inability to actually completely provide instruction leads me to think you're no more knowledgeable than me.. and simply using articles online too .. But that's not what we're here to debate afaic.

It's good you have a degree in computer science but a degree doesn't mean much to me, I know people with degrees in business who couldn't organise a p*ss up in a brewery! Experience, as you suggested, is the best friend here. You're yet to use yours to help me.. since I so badly need helped?!
[doublepost=1497467140][/doublepost]Your response strategy completely ignores all good points I make in order to focus on something that's easy to criticise.

No offence, but if you want to pull out the Computer Science degree card you should read back a bit, and actually respond to every technical concern / complaint and query that me or others have mentioned and respond with some practical and useful solutions. Otherwise it's not unreasonable to assume there are none..

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I was very clear and tried to help you in the beginning.. Your responses are what lead us to where we are now.. All you continued to do was bash the OS and scoff and suggestions that were given to you.

Maybe you need to reread the thread and look at your responses..

At any rate, now you are attacking me so to the ignore list with you.. If anyone reads this thread down the line and wants assistance, start a new thread and I am sure the folks here who tired to help him would be more than happy to assists others in the future..

Windows does take a little extra work to get it al setup and rocking but once done CORRECTLY, it's error and trouble free for the most part...

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I hear enough cries about "FAKE NEWS" already, could you not add to that please?

If something is false, then it's false.. That's different from fake news.. :p

As I stated above, Windows does have to be beaten into submission but once done correctly it's pretty much trouble free.. The key is to spend a little time and get it done right the 1st time. If someone does not know how then there are plenty of people who will help, if that help is even wanted..

Mac's are really no different nor are iPads. Yes they too come with bloat that must be removed and comes back. Sure there are ways to prevent it, just like there is on Windows.. Even most Linux distros come with what I consider boat.. And again, it can be removed if one knows how or wants the help in doing so..

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
I was very clear and tried to help you in the beginning.. Your responses are what lead us to where we are now.. All you continued to do was bash the OS and scoff and suggestions that were given to you.

Maybe you need to reread the thread and look at your responses..

At any rate, now you are attacking me so to the ignore list with you.. If anyone reads this thread down the line and wants assistance, start a new thread and I am sure the folks here who tired to help him would be more than happy to assists others in the future..

Windows does take a little extra work to get it al setup and rocking but once done CORRECTLY, it's error and trouble free for the most part...

I appreciate the suggestions to Linux and the removing of the apps, but again, in my experience a lot of these solutions don't appear to work long term. Now, if I'm wrong - and I'm no expert - constructive criticism and putting your degree to good use would be more helpful. Most people don't respond well to being an idiot. And if you've any experience in helping people with IT you'll know from novice to power user frustration comes quickly.

Attacking? God. A debate yeah but no insults.. nothing more than responding to your insulting of my intelligence which could be labelled as an attack but I'm not an over sensitive anti Trump sort of guy so I can overlook it..

Hopefully they - and myself - can be helped by someone more interested in solutions than slurring.
[doublepost=1497467951][/doublepost]
If something is false, then it's false.. That's different from fake news.. :p

As I stated above, Windows does have to be beaten into submission but once done correctly it's pretty much trouble free.. The key is to spend a little time and get it done right the 1st time. If someone does not know how then there are plenty of people who will help, if that help is even wanted..

Mac's are really no different nor are iPads. Yes they too come with bloat that must be removed and comes back. Sure there are ways to prevent it, just like there is on Windows.. Even most Linux distros come with what I consider boat.. And again, it can be removed if one knows how or wants the help in doing so..

Look, that's all I'm saying! Windows has to be beaten into shape which in my opinion is poor user experience. The bloat apps on Windows don't work properly when you do try to use them. At least the free iWork on Mac / iOS works well and glitches ironed out in weeks rather than annual releases..

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
Update: Another reason why Windows 10 sucks. For some reason, my start menu is all greyed out and nothing works. Had to to a hard restart. Same problem... Would attach a screenshot but there's no means to do it since I can't access any apps... Brilliant user experience Redmond, seriously..

Queen6

macrumors G4
Update: Another reason why Windows 10 sucks. For some reason, my start menu is all greyed out and nothing works. Had to to a hard restart. Same problem... Would attach a screenshot but there's no means to do it since I can't access any apps... Brilliant user experience Redmond, seriously..

To be honest I just think there is some underlying issue. I stopped looking at Windows years back, however as Apple's hardware became ever less suitable for my needs I eventually picked up a cheap 2 in1 (Samsung TabPro S) to evaluate Windows 10. Then moving to a Surface Book as my primary 13" solution, which has to be said is more complex than the average 2 in 1.

To date I have had zero issue, I just set up the system how I wanted and got on with business, with the Surface Book proving to be more reliable than any of my Retina Mac's. I am not saying Microsoft is without fault or the answer to everyones solutions. What I am saying is that my experience using Windows 10 in a professional engineering role has been vastly different to yours.

FWIW Windows 10 Pro - 1703 Build 15063.413

Q-6

Reactions: raqball

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
To be honest I just think there is some underlying issue. I stopped looking at Windows years back, however as Apple's hardware became ever less suitable for my needs I eventually picked up a cheap 2 in1 (Samsung TabPro S) to evaluate Windows 10. Then moving to a Surface Book as my primary 13" solution, which has to be said is more complex than the average 2 in 1.

To date I have had zero issue, I just set up the system how I wanted and got on with business, with the Surface Book proving to be more reliable than any of my Retina Mac's. I am not saying Microsoft is without fault or the answer to everyones solutions. What I am saying is that my experience using Windows 10 in a professional engineering role has been vastly different to yours.

FWIW Windows 10 Pro - 1703 Build 15063.413

Q-6

I'm a bit like you at the minute, I mean, even if I had the money for a MB I'm not sure I'm too confident in the hardware. I think the quality peaked on the 2008 unibody series tbh

Queen6

macrumors G4
I'm a bit like you at the minute, I mean, even if I had the money for a MB I'm not sure I'm too confident in the hardware. I think the quality peaked on the 2008 unibody series tbh

Sadly I no longer see the value that Mac's once represented, yes they are advancing, equally they just becoming overly compromised solely due to the obsession of being ever thinner for the sake of it; form over function. Yes it makes them appealing to the masses, however results in a compromised user experience for many.

The price for me does not intimidate as my notebook's pay for themselves very rapidly. That said I am not sure I am prepared to pay $3200 (tax free) for a notebook that will negatively effect my workflow and offer a worse typing experience than the previous models. As much as I would like to retain a Mac in my professional rotation, today this seems unlikely as the options on the other side of the fence are looking ever stronger and stronger.

I am currently waiting to see the more balanced reviews of the new Surface Pro, which I am considering as a replacement for my Retina MacBook as I generally update my hardware every 24 months. As for the 15" class I currently don't have any urgency, I still consider the 15" MBP however it's usability has now been narrowed Apple and that's certainly taken into account. Ironically in the 13" class Microsoft have produced the notebook I always thought Apple would once have been capable of with Surface Book...

I did struggle to some extents with the first system I tried with Windows 10, however that was purely related to myself needing to learn and understand Windows again. Once familiar with Windows 10 and the system set up to meet my needs I've not incurred any issue.

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: raqball

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Agree.... It's all relative. If you were to take someone who has never used MacOS and gave it to them, they'd be lost as well..

Windows gets bashed for bloat but in my opinion Mac has bloat too.. It all depends on how it's viewed. I don't want Pages, GarageBand, iTunes or that silly Chess game installed yet MacOS comes with it, along with other 'junk' I did not list.. I believe the iPad Pro's also come with this 'junk' installed along with other mobile garbage...

If someone wants to lean how to use the OS and on how to get the OS best setup, be it MacOS, Windows or Linux, then they can as there is plenty of resources and people to help. If close minded then the new OS will be troublesome and a headache..

In the OP's case I would recommend a fresh Lenovo recovery install.

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/lenovorecovery

That will put the ThinkPad back to exactly how it was configured when it left Lenovo's factory.. It will take about an hour to make the recovery USB and about 2 hours to install it but that's the best way to get it back on track. Plus you'd always have the legit Lenovo image as it was when it left the factory on a USB drive for faster recovery in the future...

After that slowly configure it and set it up to liking.. Ask, research and be friendly... If someone wants to make the switch to Windows they really can have a killer machine, set to their liking in a matter of a few hours...

Reactions: 0989383

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
Sadly I no longer see the value that Mac's once represented, yes they are advancing, equally they just becoming overly compromised solely due to the obsession of being ever thinner for the sake of it; form over function. Yes it makes them appealing to the masses, however results in a compromised user experience for many.

The price for me does not intimidate as my notebook's pay for themselves very rapidly. That said I am not sure I am prepared to pay $3200 (tax free) for a notebook that will negatively effect my workflow and offer a worse typing experience than the previous models. As much as I would like to retain a Mac in my professional rotation, today this seems unlikely as the options on the other side of the fence are looking ever stronger and stronger.

I am currently waiting to see the more balanced reviews of the new Surface Pro, which I am considering as a replacement for my Retina MacBook as I generally update my hardware every 24 months. As for the 15" class I currently don't have any urgency, I still consider the 15" MBP however it's usability has now been narrowed Apple and that's certainly taken into account. Ironically in the 13" class Microsoft have produced the notebook I always thought Apple would once have been capable of with Surface Book...

I did struggle to some extents with the first system I tried with Windows 10, however that was purely related to myself needing to learn and understand Windows again. Once familiar with Windows 10 and the system set up to meet my needs I've not incurred any issue.

Q-6

The ThinkPad has a damn good keyboard that's for sure. I'd recommend it to anyone for any use. Best of it is, if it breaks due to intensive use it's like £20 to order a new one from Lenovo!
[doublepost=1497561920][/doublepost]
Agree.... It's all relative. If you were to take someone who has never used MacOS and gave it to them, they'd be lost as well..

Windows gets bashed for bloat but in my opinion Mac has bloat too.. It all depends on how it's viewed. I don't want Pages, GarageBand, iTunes or that silly Chess game installed yet MacOS comes with it, along with other 'junk' I did not list.. I believe the iPad Pro's also come with this 'junk' installed along with other mobile garbage...

If someone wants to lean how to use the OS and on how to get the OS best setup, be it MacOS, Windows or Linux, then they can as there is plenty of resources and people to help. If close minded then the new OS will be troublesome and a headache..

In the OP's case I would recommend a fresh Lenovo recovery install.

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/lenovorecovery

That will put the ThinkPad back to exactly how it was configured when it left Lenovo's factory.. It will take about an hour to make the recovery USB and about 2 hours to install it but that's the best way to get it back on track. Plus you'd always have the legit Lenovo image as it was when it left the factory on a USB drive for faster recovery in the future...

After that slowly configure it and set it up to liking.. Ask, research and be friendly... If someone wants to make the switch to Windows they really can have a killer machine, set to their liking in a matter of a few hours...

Thanks for the link. That was very helpful and I didn't know they offered an easy way to regain that stuff.

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
The ThinkPad has a damn good keyboard that's for sure. I'd recommend it to anyone for any use. Best of it is, if it breaks due to intensive use it's like £20 to order a new one from Lenovo!
[doublepost=1497561920][/doublepost]

Thanks for the link. That was very helpful and I didn't know they offered an easy way to regain that stuff.

That's one of the aspects of ThinkPad's I like, however the Surface Book wins for my needs. I do like Lenovo's implementation of 2 in 1's, especially the X1 Carbon Yoga. I've opened up a few ThinkPad's, it's obvious that they are designed to be modular allowing the upgrade and replacement assemblies with relative ease. Surface Book I wouldn't even consider opening for obvious reason.

As I upgrade my systems frequently (24 months) I am not so concerned, that said I recently looked as the new ThinkPad X270 12" suitably impressed at just how compact the notebook is in conjunction with one of the best port selections i've ever seen on a 12" notebook and a very clever duel battery system (one internal, one removable). X270 is a little heavy for it's class, equally in the hand surprisingly light, another one that is on the list to replace the rMB as it offers a great deal more in it's own rights.

Q-6

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Same here...Windows 10 is running on my Thinkpad 13 flawlessly. I have not even shut it down for the past week. It just wakes up every time quite reliably. It is possible that the OP has an unconscious bias.

For e.g., for all the hoo-ha regarding the stability of the iPhone, I have had my iPhone crash on me more frequently than my Note 5 (which my wife uses even today) but I still prefer to use iPhone :) I am biased. I like Android's flexibility but detest its upgrade policies and inconsistent apps. So to me, Android is garbage even though it is more advanced than iOS. This is an unjustifiable bias but thankfully, not as unconscious as it was before :)

OP, just get a iPad Pro and be done with it. It is a good device. I am liking mine though I only plan to use it to take notes and consume media. The display is miles ahead of the crappy Thinkpad display...thats for sure.

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
Same here...Windows 10 is running on my Thinkpad 13 flawlessly. I have not even shut it down for the past week. It just wakes up every time quite reliably. It is possible that the OP has an unconscious bias.

For e.g., for all the hoo-ha regarding the stability of the iPhone, I have had my iPhone crash on me more frequently than my Note 5 (which my wife uses even today) but I still prefer to use iPhone :) I am biased. I like Android's flexibility but detest its upgrade policies and inconsistent apps. So to me, Android is garbage even though it is more advanced than iOS. This is an unjustifiable bias but thankfully, not as unconscious as it was before :)

OP, just get a iPad Pro and be done with it. It is a good device. I am liking mine though I only plan to use it to take notes and consume media. The display is miles ahead of the crappy Thinkpad display...thats for sure.

The ThinkPad display looks nice for text / viewing but for games it can't keep up. But then again, as a business orientated laptop I shouldn't expect it to perform miracles. It works and I'm happy.

Nobody will beat Apples displays. The 5k iMac is stunning. They know their ****.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.