Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
I've been finding lately two problems with my eMac:

1) When I click on my desktop shortcut to my home folder, sometimes the beach ball shows up and it takes like 5 minutes to load. Sometimes it causes the whole finder to go to "no responding"

2) Sometimes the computer forgets what my view options in my folders are, such as icon size, placement, etc. Why does it do this.

Finally, other than the Cron tasks/MacJanitor, what are other maintanence steps I can take?

Thanks.

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
Have you tried Repairing Permissions? To do this, go into Hard Drive>Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility. Then, when it finishes loading, on the top left side of the window select Macintosh HD. Then hit the button that says Repair Disk Permissions. Hope this helps.

Good Luck,
JOD8FY

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
is your "shortcut" on the desktop or on the Dock?
try deleting the shortcut then drag the folder in question to the dock and see if the same thing happens.
This is a shot of my dock. the folder pictured is My personal files on a separate drive, It opens instantly when clicked on.

that's my cent-n-a-half

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.