That's what friends are for

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by LumbermanSVO, Apr 16, 2008.

1. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

So I'm in the process of selling a car that I have stored at a friends place, 1400 miles from where I live. My friend is going to do the actual transaction for me. I known this friend for about 14 years or so. We have helped each other out whenever needed, even if it meant bailing on a day of work.

One time I was headed home and the clutch cable on my car started to break. I was headed past his house so I stopped by, he wasn't home. I opened up his garage, grabbed a jack and some tools then jacked up his car(same as mine) and took the cable off it. I replaced my cable with his and left my cable on his front deck with a note attached. He called the next day to ask how his car went back together.

Do you have friends where you could pull a stunt like this with no questions asked? Any good stories?

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

that's a nice story. i do have a friend or too that's got my back like that, no matter what, but no stories like that (not yet anyway). he's in the army, and has changed a little, but would still be there for me if he could.

3. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

i have no friends
    only my computer
    but i'm very interested to read the responses to this!
    maybe i'll meet some cool people!
    thanks

4. adk macrumors 68000

adk

5. jng macrumors 65816

jng

I think my friends in the States would watch my back too, the good ones anyway, the ones I've known since grade school. Friends got me through high school and all the drama that comes with it. But I think I've experienced a different kind of friendship lately.

I think Europeans are different. Here you can ring someone up out of the blue and ask to spend the night and even if you say a sleeping bag on the floor is fine, they will let you have their bed or even their whole apartment. And these are people I've met only recently or have only hung out with a few times. It sounds silly but this sort of kindness and generosity has surprised me and made me fall in love with Europe too.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well, I have been asked to share a bed… ;) but never been offered a whole apartment! :D