The $1.50 lemonade stand

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dontwalkhand, Oct 20, 2013.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Saw a couple of 9-12 year olds who had a lemonade stand, $1.50 and took Square payments. They had an iPad setup. Interesting to see, but a credit card lemonade stand. What next? Interesting to see a POS system pretty much used at a lemonade stand now.

Just a funny Apple related sight I'd like to share. I guess due to the nature of taking cards, that lemonade was expensive.

2. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

And my next question would be to ask what the lemonade actually tasted like?

Personally, I love good quality homemade lemonade........

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Surely there are some reviews on Yelp! regarding this establishment.

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It's actually quite cute and smart and cute. $1.50 is a bit much but they have to offset the fee Square charges.

A week ago I walked into a market and a little Cubs Scout asked me if I wanted to buy popcorn. I don't want to buy 4 oz of popcorn for $10 so I kindly said no. He said they took donations and I said I would see what cash I had in my wallet. Without hesitation, he informed me they took credit cards. Things certainly have changed. He got $2.00, I kept my credit card in my wallet.

7. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

The fee square charges is 2.75% of the sale - if the lemonade were a dollar, about 3¢ of that would go to square. So it still is overpriced, regardless of being able to accept credit cards or not :p

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't think I committed to the idea of it being overpriced or not. I was just saying. I'd buy lemonade from them. I appreciate kids trying to earn money.

9. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Are you sure there isn't a minimum charge? Maybe that's why it was overpriced.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It's great kids still have lemonade stands but I'm not to keen on giving my card to a child.

11. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Overpriced? I think not! I've found it holds its value much better than the lemonade from those other stands!

12. malman89 macrumors 68000

I haven't seen a single provider ever list a minimum charge, whether it's Square, Blackbaud, Constant Contact's event management, Eventbrite, etc. from my research into such programs for my non profit organization's events, in particular processing auction and raffle sales.

It's either a flat rate (Swipe - $275/month OR 2.75%/transaction) or a fee + rate (something like $0.50 + 2%) per transaction.

Minimums are just nonsense bars and restaurants set, though their fees per transaction might skew things in such a way to promote such policies in the first place.

For now, we just rock these bad boys: [​IMG]

---

For $1.50, I don't find that expensive. Just a little bit odd of a number. If I have cash on me, I doubt I have change. Credit it wouldn't phase me to swipe for $1.50. I guess they probably were well prepared with quarters or people paid $2 and didn't ask for change.

13. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Go to a rich neighborhood, those kids will try and get $3 off of you for lemonade.

Not even joking.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Then don't. :)
    Any day of the week I can easily find $1.50 in change in my car. I wasn't saying I'd hand over my credit card, I was saying I'd buy a cup off them though. I think it's nice when kids try to earn money instead of wandering around bitching about not getting what they want.

15. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Eh. Kids aren't selling you lemonade because they want to sell you lemonade. They're doing it because they want to make money, probably more blatantly than Donald Trump does!

I'd probably go the Square route with them. I keep $20 in my wallet but never spend it. I've really no reason to. Otherwise I have no cash on me. I'm sure there are many folks that run completely cashless. No harm in my opinion. They're just moving with the times!

16. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You just contradicted yourself. The example of fee plus rate ($0.50 + 2%) is a minimum fee. As no matter what price you charge there is a minimum fee of $0.50.

Although from what I can tell square does not charge this fee.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The kids in my neighborhood will have lemonade stands off and on throughout the summer. I usually buy at a few of them.

18. Xerotech macrumors 6502

That's rather cute, but handing my credit card to a child? I'm a little skeptical. :p

I hope these poor children don't run into trouble with thieves. :mad:

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You're afraid a child will scam your credit card, but you're not worried that an adult will do so? :confused:

20. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It could be an accident with a kid. "$1500. Oh, forgot the decimal."

21. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'm surprised they opened a lemonade stand with municipalities cracking down on them.

22. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Indeed, at least it would be done in front of you. In the US I always hate it when the servers take my card in the back, that is far more troubling to me than some kids with a square reader.

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I always check the amount before entering my PIN, regardless of the age of the cashier. Once the amount was out by a factor of ten but I caught it before confirming the transaction.

24. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

You see the amount when you sign

----------

Learned this one the hard way for me.

25. Xerotech macrumors 6502

Exactly, minor mistakes like that.

Children aren't very responsible. With the amount of parental negligence, teen pregnancies and kids not knowing how to stick a darn condom on their pewee. Yeah, credit cards is a whole new level. Hell, they might have some sort of virus. ;)
    I'm skeptical of human beings in general. I had plenty of waitresses that increased their tip higher than specified (even after tipping a healthy 20%).