The 10" iPad is AWESOME for Taking Pictures

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KittyKatta, Mar 14, 2011.

1. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Prior to launch there has been a lot of concern regarding the iPad camera and the biggest excuse makers kept hammering on the same stale unfounded defense. "The iPad is too awkward for taking photos". Well, now that it's here then I have to say that the iPad is AWESOME for taking pictures! Who's with me! :D

We're starting to see some great apps for the iPad camera (Like Incredibooth) so I'm really hoping that people will be less stubborn and actually give it a shot because carrying the device isn't nearly as awkward as you'd imagine and the 10" screen can make taking a photo a more "social" experience where people on both sides of the camera are joining in.

I know that some people here will still dismiss the camera as "awkward" or are so self conscious that they worry "it makes you look dumb", but I really believe that a large screen tablet camera is an interesting niche that shouldnt be dismissed just because it's bigger than a cellphone.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. INeedAMacBook macrumors 6502

i REALLY want augmented reality, or even just simly apps that use the camera to show the background for an app, say, caluclator, it'd make things so much more interesting.

4. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

and this is why they should have used iphone cams. because it COULD be great. my ipad 2 hasn't even arrived yet and i'm excited for ipad 3

5. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

From Videos and Photos, Quality is actually not that bad. The only problem I saw was lighting issues.

6. iserian macrumors 6502

Too bad the pic's look like the picks we took with our first gen vga phones.

7. richard371 macrumors 68000

8. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Hmm, in using my iPad in daylight the photos and videos still look grainy to me. Compared to iPhone 4 the photos and videos are terrible looking. Video is still useable, but the photos are barely usable on facebook.

THe camera still seems to be usable for barcode apps and such though so I'm fine with them.

9. newdeal macrumors 68020

I have taken some videos with it. It's pretty decent but definitely slot of room for improvement. There is a ton of noise in moderate light conditions

10. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I've used Hipstamatic on the iPad, and the photos develop considerably faster on it with the improved graphics/processor than on my iPhone 4. Unfortunately, there is no iPad version out yet, so it's just the upscaled version which looks horrible. And of course the quality of the photos are pretty bad. I hope they release an iPad version though and allow for my Lenses and flash purchases to transfer.

11. alan111 macrumors regular

As much as I hate the Samsung Galaxy Tab, I think it is better fit to be used as a "camera" or for video recording. The ipad may be too big and awkward to walk around with.

12. NateJamesMeyers macrumors member

apple didnt put better cameras on the ipad 2 for two reasons. cost and that everyone thought taking pictures on a tablet would be too awkward and never take off. the cameras are perfect quality for facetime. now if the world decides that the size and weight of the ipad 2 arent awkward for taking pictures then we can expect that a future ipad will have better cameras more suited for pictures.

13. alan111 macrumors regular

where did you hear that? I dont think so...

14. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I don't know how holding up a 10" tablet to take a picture isn't awkward.

15. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

I was one of the people who said it would be awkward and silly, before the iPad 2 came out.

Now that I have an iPad 2, I can honestly say it is pretty awkward, but for only one reason: the shutter button is too far away from where your hands are when holding up the iPad for a picture. This means you end up "shaking" the iPad trying to press the shutter button and it just comes out bad. What is really needed is a way to take a picture using the volume button or something like that, because it's just really silly.

Now shooting video on the other hand, I was actually very surprised by. The fact that the iPad has a big screen and it has a wide grip means the videos you shoot are very stable and not at all shaky like they are on an iPhone or even a camera without optical stabilization. It is much easier to prevent your hands from shaking the camera, and much smoother to make pans and keep things in frame due to the large screen.

So basically taking photos needs work, and shooting video is quite fun!

16. crispy12 macrumors member

Hold down the shutter button of the app, position and frame your photo, release when you want to take the photo. Works especially well for self shots.

17. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Yeah I am aware of that, and it does help stabilize it a little, but it's still awkward and not at all ideal for taking photos. I like the idea of taking photos with the larger screen, but until there is an easier way to press the shutter it just isn't worth bothering in my opinion. Maybe some third party apps will help.

I will continue to play with the video recording though. I don't expect anything good from it (crappy image sensor), but it is still fun!

18. 9OOYO macrumors regular

Not even sure if something like 360 panorama would work.... Requires 3GS - anybody know if iPad2 applies?