The $100 Back to School card and Apple IDs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kamoji, Sep 15, 2011.

1. kamoji macrumors newbie

Sorry if something like this has been answered before... Newbie here...

I'm going to buy a new Macbook Air from the Education store, and fairly soon afterwards I should get the $100 "Back to School" card for iTunes or App Store purchases in the mail. As I understand it, once I receive it I can either use the card myself by crediting it to my own Apple ID, OR I can give it to anyone else, and they can credit it to their Apple ID (even if the original MBA was not purchased using their Apple ID). I'm fairly sure (but not 100% sure) that this is correct...

Here's my question: I want to give the $100 to my mother, but if she credits her Apple ID with the $100, I'm almost completely sure that she won't use all the money. But I could probably the rest of it up! I'm pretty sure you can't split up the $100 card between multiple Apple IDs... So could I credit the $100 to my Apple ID instead, then log into my Apple ID on her computer and purchase her some apps (or songs/movies/etc) onto her computer using my Apple ID? If so, will the apps still work (and get updated in the future) once I sign out and she signs back in?

Thanks!

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Just put it all on your Apple ID and then gift the apps that she wants to her, that way you pay for them with the gift card but it applies to her ID for syncing.

3. USMCWifey07 macrumors member

x2

4. EmpyreanUK macrumors regular

Perhaps this doesn't apply for US users, but in the UK at least you can't use iTunes store credit to gift apps.