The 101C degree issue, will Apple release a revision?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eobet, Apr 30, 2010.

1. eobet macrumors member

Source:

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/172791,macbook-pro-helps-core-i7-hit-100-degrees.aspx

That's dangerously close to having a forced shutdown of the CPU (some i7s have their tjmax at 105C).

Now, I remember the first Core Duo Macbook Pros, when this excessive heat which we now find "normal" was new, Apple released a silent revision to their internals in order to have it run cooler.

I suspect that with temperatures now hitting above 100C, there might be another outcry about this (as it should be... I want my laptops back).

Question is, after the nVidia fiasco which apparently never got properly solved, what are the odds of Apple releasing a revision to combat this?

I've heard that the only heat management updates recently only made the fans spin slower, to keep the computers quiet, ignoring the heat.

2. a4209797 macrumors member

this has been covered many times on here.

• This is not a problem
    • They were testing a defective unit
    • The fans were working at < 50%.
    • Everyone's else's temps they have been posting on here from their i7s have been low

3. ljx718 macrumors 6502

That has to be a fluke. My new 17 i7 hasn't even been in the 80s. And that's with webcam on skype, WoW max details in windowed mode and a lot of tabs open in safari with I tunes open. Granted, the fans were around 3k-4k, but I don't know how that happened with them

4. eobet thread starter macrumors member

If they got it up to 101 and it's set to shut off at 105, then yes it is a problem because it's not summer yet, and in my experience, during the summer period my laptop's internal temperature goes up by about 10 degrees.

They have not updated the article with that information, please cite your source.

5. Kevlar macrumors 6502

Fans in the 2000K range and temp at the level as per their screenshots shows it is defective.

Only reason it got that hot, is due to the fans not increasing in speed as normally seen. My guess either a bootcamp driver problem, or the testing software had something to do with it.

6. set of dorks macrumors newbie

it seems the new machines are running hot - hence the extra fan in these machines. most reviews i have seen suggest that the new revisions run hotter then the last generation, and lets face it they whernt extaly cool under load.

These are supposed to be professional machines and should be able to handle heavy loads, unfotunalty apples obsession with style over substance doent fit with a supposedly pro machine (the under par gfx card being a prine example of this)

7. set of dorks macrumors newbie

exactly, you are guessing.

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

The unit is not necessarily defective, but it may be. This "review" has been covered ad naseum. Please search!

I got my i7 15" yesterday and taxed it pretty heavily last night. I ran 'yes > /dev/null' in Terminal in four tabs to max out all the virtual cores. I let it run for a half hour and i noticed the CPU temp got up to 205 F and stayed there for a minute or two until the fans kicked on. It's really not difficult to get the CPU to hit that temp doing anything that is CPU intensive, but the good thing is when the fans kicked in the temp stabilized around 175F and most importantly the casing temperature only went up about 5 degrees relative to its idle temps -- pretty damn cool!

What that article did was take a screen shot in that 1 or 2 minutes before the fans really get going and make it seem like the MBP gets too hot to touch or something. By only offering a screen shot it is read by others as "oh crap, the CPU in the new MBPs constitutively runs at 101 C!" which is clearly false.

There's nothing wrong with these babies. The casing is about 4-5 degrees warmer, on average, than my old 13" unibody macbook. That was the absolute coolest running computer I've ever owned and the new MBP is quite close to that which is extremely impressive.

9. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Tjunction Max when the chip starts to throttle, not when THERMTRIP goes off. That's somewhere in the 125C neighborhood. Back to Google, please.

Also, the fan controller is on a slight delay to prevent fan spikes. 90+ temps are only for brief moments before the fans ramp up to speed.

Lastly, the Arrandale's have two small blower fans, just like every other MBP with discrete graphics since forever. The cooler has not been significantly changed, except to remove the tail end since that was only for the chipset anyhow, and the new chipset doesn't need it.

10. Kevlar macrumors 6502

No, I am stating the most likely factor that is causing the fans not to run as intended and designed. The case temp is perfectly normal under the screen shot.

11. Pax macrumors 6502a

+1 to the MBHockey & J the Ninja above.

StupaTroopa here got his i7 up to 100 C briefly before the fans pulled it down to 90 C
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=904861&page=2 f

My C2D shows exactly the same behaviour. If I could be bothered I could post a screenshot with the CPU at 102 or 103 C and the fans at idle. But it only stays like this for a minute or so then drops to 95 C. I've seen a couple of other C2Ds do the same.

Nothing to see here.

12. set of dorks macrumors newbie

now you are contradicting yourself.

13. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

14. a4209797 macrumors member

my source is common knowledge. the max fan speed is 6k and they had their fans at 2k when running benchmarks. CLEARLY defective.

of course they would not update it. if they don't have the knowledge to know they ****ed up in the first place they are not going to be smart enough to update their article with the correct information.

also they are getting tons of traffic from people spreading their bogus story, they want to keep that up. they're not going to come back and say "oshit sry our bad"

15. macagain macrumors regular

macagain

yes, fix imminent...

Apple will shortly be disallowing Flash from running in the new core ix machines...

either that, or Adobe will pull Flash from all Apple platforms.

both will fix the problem.

16. BaronStein macrumors regular

Sometimes I play Wineskin games on my new mbp. While doing that, bottom of the case and screen hinge gets extreemly hot, sometimes untouchable. This is not a big deal for me as it doesn't crash or there is no performace problems, however, due to the heat coming on from the fan, sometimes the screen get grayish tints, which is just very annoying.

Other than this, the computer usually runs pretty cool and silent.

17. a4209797 macrumors member

get an app to force your fans to max

18. BaronStein macrumors regular

That is not a solution...

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My fans kick in at around 75ºC and the temperature hasn't gone above 85ºC yet (like when I'm encoding video or compiling code); try to see if a SMC reset will fix your issue.

If you want, you can also disassemble the machine to replace the crazy amount of thermal paste Apple used.

20. a4209797 macrumors member

how is that not a solution to cool down your computer?

fine, throw your computer into a pool. that's a GREAT solution

21. WonkyPanda macrumors regular

WonkyPanda

I already posted on this matter. Cinebench, for whatever reason, is purely taxing the cpu 100% and doing NOTHING to the gpu. In this situation, the SMC controllers recognizes this and is even more lax on when the fans need to kick into overdrive. The intel chips will underclock themselves at the threshold which is 105c. Running cinebench 4 times in a row yielded mid 90s temperatures and the fans never kicking beyond the mid 3rpms. Once they did this, I hit mid 80s in Celsius and stayed there. Reason being that, with only one heat source providing all the warm the fans do not need to kick into super overdrive because a lower RPM is enough to dissipate the heat. Play a game, like WoW, and the Fans will kick into 5k rpm extremely quickly and never let my CPU stay above the low 80s for a prolonged time. It freaks people out because, under cinebench, the system never kicks into overdrive but this is how the SMC controller handles pure CPU load. Trust me when I say that 3degress of difference ins Celsius is huge. 101 is NOT 105 or even close to it.

22. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

The temps in the new MBP's are fine. I can't imagine anyone actually maxing out their CPU usage for an extended period of time (like what these benchmarking tools are meant to do - with the exception of something like Handbrake I guess).

My base 15" Core i5 has been at 30 degrees C for 2 hours - general web surfing.

23. ipsg macrumors member

Some articles are biased and do not reflect real day to day usage
    Just go to an Apple store, try one for yourself to see if it is really that hot

24. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

When I was running BioSphere at 1920x1200 and Highest Quality Settings, I was monitoring the temps and fan speeds with Hardware Monitor which logs the maximums. On the 17" MBP Core i7, I got CPU temps up to 196F and GPU temps up to 178F.

I connected the 15" Core i7 to an external display to run it at 1920x1200. I got CPU temps up to 208F and GPU temps up to 205F.

That falls in line with my past experience where the 17" has a larger heatsink so it is able to dissipate heat more efficiently.

25. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

Whoa. Relax, buddy.

What do you call "low temperatures"?
    Sure, my GPU and CPU run cooler than the one on those tests, but the Enclosure base still runs at an average of 40 ºC (104 ºF), which turns out to be quite unpleasant to the touch...

I would suggest ramping up fan idle speeds a bit, just to cool off the enclosure bases.