The 15 in i7 MBP - Intial Verdict

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wicker Mac, May 23, 2010.

1. Wicker Mac macrumors newbie

I received my new MBP three weeks ago. I purchased the 15 inch i7 with a high res glossy screen, 7200 rpm hard drive and 8gb of ram. I am running both OS X and Windows 7 (via parallels and bootcamp) on this computer. Before receiving my MBP I was a little concerned after reading all of the complaints on the message board.

Here is my initial (not very scientific) take:

1. The glossy hi res screen might be my favorite part of the computer. Absolutely beautiful with no reflection issues.

2. No real heat issues to speak of when running OS X. MBP gets a little toasty when I am running multiple programs in Windows at the same time. But nothing that concerns me.

3. Performance is great. I can have multiple programs running and everything still feels very snappy. Parallels feels a little slow, but I chalk that up to the Parallels.

4. Love the feel the of the trackpad. It just feels so smooth.

5. Battery life has been tremendous. Was on 4hr 30 min flight this past week. Watched videos the entire time and my battery said it still had almost 3 hours left when I landed. Plenty of juice for me. Although I will say, when I run windows, the battery life is less than half of what I get with the OS X.

6. Love being able to bounce between windows and OS x. Very liberating. And just to be clear...there is still a huge gap between Windows 7 and OS X. I know Windows 7 is a big step forward for Microsoft, but it still trails OS X significantly in the areas of usability and performance.

Overall, I couldn't be happier. I basically dumped my company's standard issue laptop (Lenovo T-61) and replaced it with the MBP that I purchased. I love not being tied to my company's IT department and hardware refresh schedule. My rational for the purchase came down to one thing....the amount of time I spend on a laptop each day. I figured if I'm on a laptop 14 hours a day then I should be on the best. With the purchase of the MBP I definitely feel that I am now on the best machine out there.

2. ramzhh macrumors regular

Good, let us know if you run into any problems or if you're got anything else important to share with us :)

Nice to see the opinion from someone with different usage of the computer.

3. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Congrat's! I'm so glad my Lenovo days are behind me as well.

Can't beat the MBP screens compared to Lenovo's!!

4. lightworker macrumors member

1. The glossy hi res screen might be my favorite part of the computer. Absolutely beautiful with no reflection issues.

COME ON MAN...

<irony>
    Why to invest in a matte AG one!? If glossy doesn't reflects!
    </irony>

5. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

Actually, I totally agree with him. I have an 15" HR i7 just like the OP... and I agree with everything posted. The screen is beautiful, and I don't have any "reflection" issues as well.

6. vbman213 macrumors 6502

Care to take some photos showing off your glossy screen that doesn't have reflection issues...

7. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

+1 to no issues with "reflection" on my hi-res glossy as well. i don't know why so many people think the glossy is so bad in the light....unless you like to be outside majority of the time under direct sunlight, i see no issues with lights inside your house/apartment/car/rv/trailer/camp/fire pit/ ya kno.
    :D

8. mathlete123 macrumors member

Lack of graphics switching?

Is it possible that the worse battery life in Windows is due to a lack of graphic card switching? I thought that that was why battery life was so amazing, and presumably Windows is missing it.

9. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

Another HR glossy here with zero reflection issues.. I wouldn't have it any other way.