The 15" MBP Guide

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kushed, Mar 19, 2011.

1. kushed macrumors regular

1) Why did you chose this screen size? did you get the HR or did you stay with the regular resolution? why?

2) Do you regret not going smaller or bigger?

3) Where do you use your MBP? which location gets the most use?

For me i got the glossy Hi Res screen because i watch A LOT of movies on this bad boy. and i am constantly on the internet.. ill never use the full potential of this machine but i had the extra money at the time so i figured id protect myself for resale value..

This is the biggest screen i have ever had (had 3 13 inches before this) and the first day i thought it was kind of big but now (1 week) later i would never go back to a 13 inch as my only computer!! maybe ill buy the next gen air though..

i use my computer a lot during school and mostly on my bed for movies before i go to bed. i love the glossy display.. truthfully this battery lasts so long i use high brightness and reflections isnt a problem for me during the day and at night the movie picture in HD is just beautiiful. i love my 2011 15" mac!!! hopefully some of you that were considering getting a 15" found this usefull.

2. Apple 26.2, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Thanks for the heads up! I'm also moving from 13" to 15"... don't need the hi rez though... will mostly be used at home. Enjoy the goodness!

3. gramw macrumors member

1) I have never had anything smaller than 15", dont see the point in the 13"s, i use this for college and its not heavy or too big like people say on here. I got hi res glossy

2) No

3) home/college or train journeys

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

1) HD naturally because I work on it. With programming it is often useful to stuff more on one screen or if you can comfortably view a few different things at the same time. Switching spaces doesn't work for everything. For movies I wouldn't need it. I guess 720p movies do not look much worse on SD and the difference between 720p and 1080p is not that impressive on the screen.
    AG because almost everything I do for school/work I need a notebook for. When the sun is shining and weather is just great I don't want to be confined to my room with curtains but I want to sit and work/read/surf in a room with much light or even outside in the garden. Sunlight makes one happy and keeps you awake that is worth much more than heaving minimally better screen quality at night inside.
    2.) I would only regret going smaller. I am 6 foot tall and I have absolutely no trouble carrying a 15" notebook around as long as it fits into my bag an it does. I wouldn't want to work on a 13" screen especially with the low res of the 13" MBP.
    3.)Most often in my room but almost everyday somewhere else too and it just works everywhere perfectly fine.

5. Diamondaine macrumors newbie

1) I chose 15" because it's the perfect mixture of screen size (what i wanted) and mobility (what i wanted too). In my opinion 13" is too small for Gaming an lots of Document editing, photoshop or movie editing. And this is not worth the little difference in size and weight for transporting it.
    I got the normal resolution, i wanted HR, but i bought an refurb. i7, 8gb ram and stuff for just 1800€, where HR was not available, but i can live with 1440x900.

2) No i didn't regret it, i still would buy an 15". At home i connect my External Monitor (24" 1920x1200 or my TV for watching movies). And i can take it anywhere i want, i have a Gecko Pro Sleeve for the 15" MBP and it is a lot thinner than most other laptops this size (acer travelmate etc.) with the sleeve on.

3) I use it at home at my Desk, and in my Bed, where i watch some stuff an chat a little bit, while falling asleep :). On the other hand i often take it to school, or to buddies. I bought myself a 3,5" HDD transport-Hardcase where i put my Power-Plug my Mighty Mouse, my 2,5" external and other stuff in.

So in conclusion, i still would buy the 15" without even thinking about screen size. 13" is too small, and 17" is a little bit too big for transporting in my school bag. Though I would like to have HR.

Diamondaine

6. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

same as this chap, I would have liked to have gone high res as it's nice to have the workspace but looking at the high res in the apple store for documents/pdfs it would make reading an eye strain so i think i'm better off with the standard display. I've also thought about maybe having gotten the 7k HDD but the one I got seems to work fine for my purposes

7. sydenham macrumors regular

You mean your not going to make up a fault with the computer then go exchange it for the 12th time?

8. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

First off a little background. My previous setup was a 2009 13" MBP and a 2009 27" imac. I bought the 13" MBP and loved it, but for business purposes I have to do some javascript/php/html/etc coding and loading in large import files in csv format. In order to do this, my 13" didn't have a resolution high enough to do this other than some basic functions. So I bought the 27" imac. This was a great combo, but it meant that I was too tied to my desk and when on the road with my 13" MBP it made doing work difficult. It also meant I had to constantly sync my files (drop box and mobile me made this easier, but still annoying)

Flash forward to today: I decided to consolidate to one MBP, here's what I purchased...
    1. 15" Glossy Hi-Res Screen. Stayed with the glossy because after owning a 13" MBP and the 27" iMac I have gotten used to the glossy screens.

2. No. I don't regret going bigger or smaller. I have an iPad 2 for super portability which is why I felt I could go bigger than the 13" model. Plus I couldn't get a hi-res screen in the 13". I could have gone MBA 13" but it still wouldn't have been a high enough resolution for what I needed. 17" resolution would have been nice, but man that would have been a beast to lug around.

3. Mostly my living room on the coffee table, sometimes in my office using my iMac as an external monitor, and in hotel rooms when on the road. It is too big to use on an airplane (maybe if I bought 1st class seats :D ).

9. Cantisama macrumors member

1) Because the 13" can't be configured with anti-glare.
    2) No. I think you get used to whatever size you get after using it for a few days. At first I thought 15" was too big since my last laptop was 14.1", but now it's normal to me and my previous laptop seems small :p
    3) At home on a lap pad

10. HighRes15 macrumors member

a) The 15" was the only one I was interested in. 13" was too small, and 17" both too large and too pricey for my budget. Picked HR glossy for the extra screen real estate. Would not have minded 1920x1200, but definitely not the stock 1440x900.
    b) No.
    c) Mostly home, sometimes office and on the road.