The 15" rMBP Dilemma

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wheelhot, Oct 24, 2013.

1. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Hello guys and gals,
    I'm currently using the pre-unibody MBP and it's time for me to upgrade to a newer machine. With the latest update, Apple made a weird decision to price a similar spec MBP 15" without the Nvidia GPU (configured to have 2.3 i7, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD) the same as the 15" model with the Nvidia GPU at $2599.

So the dilemma is, should I go for the Iris Pro only model or the Iris Pro + Nvidia model since both are the same priced.

You might wonder, Iris Pro + Nvidia makes the most sense! But problem is, I use both Mac and Windows; Windows for CAD work (SolidEdge) while Mac for Photo (Aperture), Video (FCPX) and 3D rendering (Keyshot - I have a Windows version as well).

From Anandtech review, it appears that the Iris Pro would do better at OpenGL softwares and rendering. But how does it compare to the 2GB GDDR5 GeForce 750M GT which has its own dedicated memory, not to mention wouldn't having its own dedicated memory means better for render jobs?

Oh and the only game I play is Dota 2 on Windows, and my Mac is plugged in most of the time, so battery life is not a considered factor.

So should I go for the Iris Pro only configuration or just get the Iris Pro + 2GB GDDR5 GeForce 750M GT?

Thanks.

(oh extra question, how does Iris Pro work with memory? Since it doesnt have an inbuild memory, it'll technically take my RAM memory right? Isn't this a cons (regardless of how fast it is) since my computer will have less memory when it comes to RAM intensive stuffs?)

2. nill1234 macrumors member

3. wheelhot thread starter macrumors 68020

Sucks as in the UI looks horrible or really slow due to the display pixels?