The 15" Unibody Macbook Pro Is Unbelievable.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TenderBranson, Mar 19, 2009.

1. TenderBranson macrumors member

After being loyal to my trusty powerbook 1.5 g4 for 4 1/2 years, I finally gave in an purchased a unibody mbp.

During the week of anticipating leading up to right now, reading macrumors and other mac-related websites started to put some doubts in my mind. After all, I've been using a matte screen my whole life and word on the intranet is that the new glassy screens are an abomination.

Prospective unibody owners worry not,
    for the laptop is not only
    beautiful and graceful
    but screen is aweinspiring.

Don't believe the hate. The glare is a minimal problem and overall Apple made the right call on this one.

Sincerely,
    `Former Matte Lover

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

congrats on the new computer.

3. Vancouvercanuck macrumors member

Would be a LOT better if it has internal blu-ray, not just for watching movies but for data storage. Future applications and games will be on blu-ray, i dont want to have a laptop not able to play those on the go. Hopefully i can install it myself in the future, not sure if the one offers by fastmac is compatible with the newest macbook series.

4. jeremybuff macrumors regular

I agree on the glassy screen thing. It's not a big issue. As I mentioned on another thread, I work in an office that's walls are 50% glass. The glare really is a nonissue, it's not that bad. The brightness of the screen drowns out most all glare.

5. bossxii macrumors 68000

Congrats on your new MBP, have the 17" and couldn't be happier. Love the glossy screen, love the keyboard and touchpad is just freakin' awsome. I haven't used my bluetooth mouse since I purchased this thing.

Again, congrats!:)

6. sm0 macrumors regular

There is no doubt its a beaut of a machine. However, it does lack in features. For a premium product in 2009 to only have 2 usb ports, no hdmi, no blu-ray, a very average resolution is pretty poor.

But I love my MBP... it might not be the best laptop in the world, but it sure is the nicest...

7. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Congrats, on your new machine, they are a thing of true beauty IMHO.

8. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

It's nice to have some positive feedback... I to like the glossy screen.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Congrats on the machine.

And you're crazy to write a poem.

10. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

The screen is best at night when you are at home :) I watched a movie on it tonight and it was great.

11. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I'd to see the game or app that is so huge it requires 25GB on the install disk. The only reason I can see would be for an audio app that comes with an enormous sample library.

12. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

im sure it will happen. i mean 15 years ago who would of thought we needed 8GB of space on an install disc.

13. MrCairo macrumors newbie

I finally upgraded from a 1.67 PowerBook G4 - I agree, the new Unibody MacBook Pro is incredible. Congratulations!

14. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

Congratulations on your purchase!

I agree! The best laptop I've ever used. I got the 15" MacBook Pro one and it's fantastic.

The best laptop I've ever used.

15. Jules242 macrumors member

hey, congrats on the buy.. but I have the same product and I've gotten past the glamour and realized that this product wasn't touched up very well =/

problems include a keyboard that wears down after use, so you get glossy worn down areas that aren't oil stains, but simply.. worn down

an audio out port that disconnects if you pull or nudge the cable out a few milimeters... this is a deteriorating thing, so it may not happen at first. I had to have my logic board swapped, but it didn't help. This is a design flaw that has prompted class action lawsuits against apple.

sleep & crash issues that the EFI/SMC updates haven't fixed for me.

I love my mac, don't get me wrong, but for the sheer amount of money I paid for the 15'' unibody, I'm beginning to be disappointed =/

16. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Congrats on the computer! I've had mine since October and couldn't be happier. :D

Keep it positive while the OP enjoys his new machine.

17. kabunaru Guest

Very nice post.
    Congratulations on the new Mac. :)

18. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

Must have been a humongous step going from a crappy powerbook G4 to a MBP. Congrats.

19. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

20. n8236 macrumors 65816

Er...mini display port > hdmi.

Blu-Ray should really be an option, not a standard since Sony JUST won the media war not too long ago and playing BR movies is really the only thing it would have use for. BR hasn't made it into the mainstream user yet.

If they made the resolution any higher, would you really notice any difference in the sharpness? It's fine the way it is.

I <3 my UMBP. Best machine ever.

21. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

Ever heard of a PS3?

22. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yea good point i guess it already happened. remember even dual layer only holds 8GB which is nothing in todays terms.

23. Jules242 macrumors member

hehe, these issues are all ... side factors... I agree, no reason to be negative. ENJOY YOUR MAC :D :apple: