Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarracksBoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
Hi there,

As i have been shown the light by the users on this forum as to the fact that i do in fact not need either 8gb of ram or an ssd in my upcoming macbook pro my new question is very simply:

Is there actually going to be noticable difference between the 2.66ghz and 2.8ghz i7 processors and is it worth the £136 i will have to pay for it?

Many Thanks for any help as ever

lickitysplit

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
I would not pay that extra money. For that you can spend the money on a Momentus XT Hybrid 7200 drive which will give you better performance than .14 ghz processor bump.

idonotliketostu

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2008
Unless you do tons of video processing and etc, an i5 or even a c2d will suffice.

However, you definitely need the SSD, but don't get it directly from Apple, get aftermarket. The speed difference will blow your mind. It doesn't matter what you use your laptop for, it's just that awesome.

edit: okay maybe you don't need it but the since you care about "Feeling the difference", an ssd is something you can Definitely feel.

AdamRock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Toronto
no.

buy the 2.66 and with the 189$ u saved buy an SSD. together you will notice speed beyond your imagination.

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
The upgrade i7 2.66Ghz to 2.8 Ghz is 133Mhz which will not be noticed at all by a user also the upgrade is and extra US $17 on Intel's website compared to Apple's US $200

hoopster

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2010
It depends on how long your going to keep it, and if you do put the money towards a SSD. If you plan on keeping it 3-4-5 years I would say, yes cause it wont be out dated as quick unless you put the money towards a SSD if you do then I would say put the money towards an aftermarket SSD like an ocz or intel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.