THE 2008 Mac Pro and the 9800 GX2

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ildondeigiocchi, Mar 29, 2008.

1. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I have the 2008 mac pro with the 8800 on it and partitioned the 500GB HD with 150GB for Windows XP. I am a heavy gamer and when Vista becomes essential I want to get it along with the 9800 GX2 or upcoming GTX. I want to install it on my Mac Pro. I here that it requires an Eight PIN Power Connector and I dont think the Mac Pro has one? Does it? what have others done? Please i need feedback!

2. madboom macrumors newbie

No doubt that people are trying to get 98's working on the MP. I think it will be a couple more weeks before you start seeing posts with any instructions on how to accomplish it though.

As for the power connector you are correct that the MP doesn't have 8 pin connectors (6 pin mini connector on the MP mobo). Someone will figure out a way to do it of course. Actually there is probably already a 6-8 pin converter out there somewhere. I don't know where though because I am trying to resist the urge to modify my new MP hardware.

3. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I think it will be a couple of months before you see people taking the first steps to getting a firmware rewritten so that OS X can see the card. Then it'll be another couple of months until we see the first successful flashings of a buggy firmware that allows us to use it in OS X.

And there are a plethora of 8 to 6-pin adaptors; someone here already runs a 9800 GX2 in their Mac Pro.