The 2009 NBA Finals

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jecapaga, Jun 4, 2009.

1. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

So tonight was game 1 and the Lakers mopped the floor with the Orlando Magic. Admittedly I'm a Laker fan but I was surprised at how well they played against Orlando. The Lakers have been such a bothersome team to watch this season as they were often lazy and disinterested as a team but they appear to be focused the last three games. I expect a different Orlando team on Sunday.

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Nothing would make me more happy than to see kobe wheeled off the court on a stretcher with a season ending injury.

3. Axl Rose macrumors regular

Bitter much?:rolleyes:

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The Lakers have been a Jekyll and Hyde team in the playoffs... showing up one night and disappearing another. They did play well in Game 1, but will they sustain that intensity? Who knows... you will have to wait and see which Lakers team shows up each night. On this night, they were clearly the better team. Orlando better find an answer quick, or this will be over early.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

it's not a matter of being bitter. i dont just hate Kobe cause im from Boston, but i truly think that he believes he is bigger than the game. he seems to have no respect for anyone. When he came into the Best Buy store that i managed during the finals last year he was an absolute jerk to one of my employees who was just trying to help him. she asked him if he needed help finding something and with a very smug look on his face he said do i look like i need help and just turned away. i really wanted to throw him out of the store but i decided against it, altho looking back on it we may have gotten some good publicity out of it haha. "Boston Best Buy kicks out Kobe" got good alliteration and maybe celtics fans would go out of their way to shop at the store that kicked Kobe out.:)

6. Axl Rose macrumors regular

Still, do you actually hope he gets a season ending injury?

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Hoping someone gets seriously injured or celebrating when they do is cold
    Lots of players in all sports I root against, but never injuries

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah i agree. i don't hope anyone gets injured.

but i am pulling for the magic. but last night, they looked like they were playing scared. as if they were a deer in headlights. hopefully they'll snap out of it in game 2

9. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

no, cause then he'll go on and on about how if he wasent injured they would have won.

10. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Yeah, hoping a player gets hurt is pretty weak. I wouldn't wish an injury on anyone - even if they played for OU. :)

That said, Orlando played like dog crap and missed a lot of shots they ordinarily make. I bet Game 2 will be more competitive.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If they don't get Howard more involved, they can just go home now
    1 for 6 from the field won't cut it
    10 of his 12 points came from free throws and he was just 10-16 from the line

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

12. jecapaga thread starter macrumors 601

jecapaga

Andrew Bynum actually showed up a bit, hit some early shots and did well to keep Howard from getting excellent position under the basket. Lakers did a nice job of protecting the 3 I thought. I don't think it was random that Orlando shot such a poor percentage from 3 land.

Orlando did look a little deer in the headlights though. As for Kobe, love him or hate him, the guy is a machine and I love that no matter the sport. Personally, I don't care for his style too much as he is a bit of a prima donna.

13. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yes i agree. and no dunks for howard! that's like his main shot, lol. he needs to forget that terrible hook shot, and just go up strong and dunk it. he was close enough to the basket several times in game 1.

and he can't play help defense on kobe like he did lebron. kobe plays different

14. jecapaga thread starter macrumors 601

jecapaga

Ugh...watching this game on DVR delayed and it's not looking good for the Lakers. Looks like it could go either way and be 2-2. Overtime and it's tied.

15. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

It's over. The Magic choked away this game and no one has ever come back from being down 3 to 1. This playoff season has been really good in terms of competitive games. I'll admit I wanted to see the Magic win it, but they just couldn't close out games like they should have against the Lakers.

16. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i agree. but teams have come back from 3-1 before though. not sure if they have in the finals though. maybe the magic can at least win the last home game on sunday though

17. jecapaga thread starter macrumors 601

jecapaga

I'm thinking the magic win on Sunday. They totally blew it in the last minute for sure. Fisher hits.

18. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i think they will, they were a bit unlucky last night.
    i'm guessing it will end 4-2, although i am not exactly going out on a limb here :)

19. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Yeah, it's never been done in the Finals, but it's been done otherwise.

My guess is that the Lakers will sleep walk to the arena on Sunday and get beat by double digits. Then close it out in L.A..

20. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

probably a good guess. the magic just have to take one game at a time, and not settle when they get a lead

21. jecapaga thread starter macrumors 601

jecapaga

Curious as to how bad the rioting will be this year win LA wins. They already started up a bit last night after the victory according to the news. :(

22. jecapaga thread starter macrumors 601

jecapaga

So now the local LA news is reporting that the city council is questioning whether there will be a victory parade if the Lakers do win due to the economy. Apparently the last parade cost the city over a million dollars. With the budget issues in California right now I guess it makes sense to question this expenditure.

23. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Anybody know of where I can watch the finals in the UK? Five US shows it SOMETIMES, but usually at like, 1am and I'd rather I didn't have to stay up :rolleyes:

Edit. And having just checked, Five US is not showing tonight's game.

24. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

dang.

hopefully the magic can win tonight at home though

25. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I'm hoping Orlando can win game 5 and make things interesting.