The 2010 Ryder Cup Matches

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Fuzzy14, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

[​IMG]
    Well it’s only 45 days away!;)

Since I’ve got a European-centric view of things, here is how our team stands:

World points list

1 Lee WESTWOOD
    2 Rory MCILROY
    3 Martin KAYMER
    4 Graeme MCDOWELL
    5 Luke DONALD
    6 Edoardo MOLINARI
    7 Ian POULTER
    8 Padraig HARRINGTON
    9 Justin ROSE
    10 Francesco MOLINARI
    11 Paul CASEY

European Points List

1 Lee WESTWOOD
    2 Martin KAYMER
    3 Rory MCILROY
    4 Graeme MCDOWELL

5 Ian POULTER
    6 Ross FISHER
    7 Francesco MOLINARI
    8 Miguel Angel JIMINEZ
    9 Paul CASEY
    10 Padraig HARRINGTON
    11 Ross McGOWAN
    12 Luke DONALD
    13 Alvaro QUIROS

Team Europe is still to decide in two weeks time after Johnnie Walker at Gleneagles. It’s 4 from the world list and the next 5 from the Europe only points list. Here is where it’s interesting. Luke Donald hasn’t qualified in either, his only hope is to go to the Barclays and do well to push him up the world list, knocking out Graeme McDowell who would then qualify from his European performance, knocking out Jiminez. Paul Casey says he won’t play Gleneagles (for tax reasons, I believe – can’t spend too many days in the UK) so might have to rely on a pick.

So who does Monty pick? It’s a great sign of the strength and depth of the European Tour that the last 3 majors have been won by European Tour players. Personally I would go for Luke Donald, Alvaro Quiros (he’s a bomber!), and Edoardo Molinari. Sorry Paddy, I’m just not impressed by your record!

US

1 Phil Mickelson 6,095.063
    2 Hunter Mahan 4,095.620
    3 Bubba Watson 3,894.319
    4 Jim Furyk 3,763.642
    5 Steve Stricker 3,697.976
    6 Dustin Johnson 3,573.804
    7 Jeff Overton 3,533.148
    8 Matt Kuchar 3,415.853
    9 Anthony Kim 3,274.684
    10 Lucas Glover 3,052.874
    11 Zach Johnson 3,051.897
    12 Tiger Woods 2,902.580

For team USA, here is their final standings, top 8 have qualified and Cpt Pavin has another 4 picks. I don’t really see what’s wrong with the next 4 on the list, perhaps swap Lucas Glover for Stewart Cink (14) or JB Holmes (19) but that’s about it. Should he pick Tiger? Well he’s dammed if he does and dammed if he doesn’t. But despite all the alleged negativity he brings into the locker room, you’d rather he was on your side!

So, as last time, I think Europe will be going in as favourites but at least the USA can’t really play their underdog card again. It’s going to be a close one.

2. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I can tell you one thing. Pavin will not be taking Anthony Kim. He's been a no show pretty much all year, shame, because he's toned down his social life to be more dedicated to the game. Too bad injuries have kinda hurt him.

It'd be stupid to take Tiger as well. Even when he was at his prime, he was never a good R.C. player.

If I had the picks:

1. J.B. Holmes
    2. Ricky Fowler (I think he's American...)
    3. Bo Van Pelt
    4. Sean O'hair

3. Fuzzy14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Yes, Rickie Fowler is eligable for the US team, and he's a very fine golfer too. Even if he doesn't get picked I think he should travel with the team as a guest for the experience same as Martin Kaymer did last time.

Now Tiggy's got his divorce out of the way he's got a couple of weeks to play his way into the team. I still don't see Pavin not picking him, even if he's duffing it, a 75% Tiger is still better than most of the world.

Johnie Walker at Gleneagles tee'd off this morning, we'll know Team Europe at 5pm this Sunday.

4. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

In a normal stroke play event, I'd agree with you. However, I just don't ever see him playing well in a Ryder Cup. His mentality/skill doesn't seem to transfer over to team events (Ryder and Presidents Cup). I still wouldn't pick him, even though he's doing well this week.

5. Fuzzy14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

So here is the final European team (previous Ryder Cups)

Lee Westwood (6)
    Martin Kaymer (Rookie)
    Rory McIlroy (Rookie)
    Graeme McDowell (1)
    Ian Poulter (2)
    Ross Fisher (Rookie)
    Francesco Molinari (Rookie)
    M A Jimenez (3)
    Peter Hanson (Rookie)
    Padraig Harrington (5)
    Luke Donald (2)
    Edoardo Molinari (Rookie)

So Monty's wildcards are Harrington, Donald and E Moinari, cue the arguments. First of all, Molinari was by far the correct decision and the easiest one for Monty to make. He played his way onto the team with that performance at Gleneagles, has now got 2 wins under his belt and a made for partner who he won the World Cup with last year.

Next, Rose or Donald. He was probably right to go with Donald, better and more consistent Ryder Cup player.

Harrington or Casey. This is where I disagree (note that last time I argued against Casey's inclusion in the team). Casey is a match player, has a good RC record, put in decent performances in the majors and would have qualified if it weren't for injury at the start of the year. Harrington has a shocking record in the RC. Monty's reasoning is that he's got 3 majors which brings a bit of gravitas to the team, I don't think that matters at all, we won in 2006 with no major winners on our team. Who would you think the Americans would fear the most?

When is Team USA announced?

6. Fuzzy14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

United States: Stewart Cink, Rickie Fowler, Jim Furyk, Dustin Johnson, Zach Johnson, Matt Kuchar, Hunter Mahan, Phil Mickelson, Jeff Overton, Steve Stricker, Bubba Watson, Tiger Woods.

Not sure about picking Cink, and I think Fowler should have a few wins under his belt first (but still travel as a non-playing member of the team.)

7. Fuzzy14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Why does Woods not have his name on the back of his jacket (link)?

[​IMG]

8. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Interesting. Maybe:

1. Failed attempt at "blending in?"
    2. Coaches picks don't get special treatment?
    3. Hiding from his ex-wife's lawyers?
    4. Gave it to his "waitress" as a tip?
    :D:D:D

Go Yanks!

9. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

It seems some of the players are right out the front of my house at the moment - I live by the Castle in Cardiff, police have blocked the whole street off, and VIP cars are dashing around all over the place...

10. bartelby macrumors Core

You've got them there, and the course is about 1500m from my house!

The whole thing is a right pain in the arse!

11. Fuzzy14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Europe ahead... but USA charging back into it. This is going to be tight!

12. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Down to the wire... Exciting finish!

It's on USA here in the US if you can't find it on your TV. Took me awhile.:eek:

13. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard