The 2016 trackpad feels cheap

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lairdhenn, Nov 24, 2016.

1. lairdhenn macrumors newbie

lairdhenn

I'm wondering if this bothers anyone else. I'm fine with the new larger size, it hasn't caused any issues, but the fact that the click sound can't be turned off at the moment coupled with the hollow sound it makes whenever my nail touches it makes it feel cheap and hollow. I have my 2015 rMBP side by side and the 2015 click feels and sounds better and the whole thing feels like a solid and professional component. The 2016 trackpad feels cheap and empty.

2. airlied macrumors regular

airlied

because john Ive and tim cook ruined apple

3. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

It doesn't feel cheap to me. As for the sound (and haptic feedback), you can eliminate both by going to the trackpad settings and enabling a feature that allows you to tap to click. It works well.

Hope this helps,
    Bryan

4. TazmoStarkana macrumors regular

I like it much more than the previous mechanical ones.

5. PaulWog Suspended

What OP is referring to, though, is the feel of the 2015 non-mechanical versus the 2016 non-mechanical. I haven't gotten my hands on a 2016 model, but the 2015 feels great... wouldn't want to move backwards.

6. lairdhenn thread starter macrumors newbie

lairdhenn

Yeah the trackpad is pretty much the only thing I miss about the 2015 model. It was my first Apple laptop and it was perfect, an absolute 10/10 in terms of trackpads. This one still functions the same but it has a stiffer click (even on the lowest setting) with a weaker haptic feedback and it feels like a sheet of plastic with empty space beneath it, so any time my nail hits it or I'm in a very quiet room there is a slight echo and higher tone to it. I still love the laptop, it is just a small annoyance to me.

7. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

I was bored while on vacation and wandered into an Apple Store to play with the new MBPs and I don't think the trackpad feels any less wonderful than the outgoing force touch models.

I will say, I used high sensitivity on my pointing devices and so I don't find the increase in size all that appealing. I definitely don't like feeling the difference in texture on my palm while typing. I'm sure it's something you get used to but that was the most glaring thing for me. At least the palm rejection is fairly good.

But it's still by far the best touchpad in terms of using it on the market. Wonderfully responsive as always.